The Blood of Olympus (Part 3)

CW: Suicidal thoughts

The Acropolis, Athens, Greece

Percy should have known it was too easy. He'd crept through the middle of the Acropolis after leaving Piper and Annabeth, just like they'd planned. He'd sabotaged siege weapons and killed as many monsters as he could—which was actually pretty easy in his Earthborn disguise, thanks to Hazel. He'd almost made it to the Parthenon when the giant Enceladus had ambushed him. He'd grabbed Percy in his massive fist before he could even think of running, his disguise melting away in the process.

And now here Percy was in the Parthenon, about to be sacrificed alongside Annabeth to wake Gaea.

Porphyrion loomed over them as they struggled helplessly. He was almost as tall as the temple columns. His face was green as bile, twisted into a sneer, and his seaweed-colored hair was braided with swords and axes taken from dead demigods.

"They arrived just as you foresaw, Enceladus!" Porphyrion grinned. "Well done!"

Enceladus bowed his head, braided bones clattering in his dreadlocks. The flame designs gleamed on his armor. His spear burned with purplish fire. Enceladus was squeezing Percy so tight in his other hand that Percy could barely breathe.

"It was simple, my king," said Enceladus. "I knew these two would lead the assault. I understand how they think. Athena and Poseidon . . . they were just like these children! They both came here thinking to claim this city. Their arrogance has undone them!"

The crowd of monsters and giants roared. Percy glanced at Annabeth, his heart twisting to see her held by the giantess Periboia by the neck like a feral cat. He couldn't reach his sword. There wasn't any water nearby. What could he do?

Two things gave Percy hope: 1) the Argo II hadn't made its entrance yet, and the giants definitely would have gloated about it if they'd destroyed their friends, and 2) Enceladus had said "these two." That meant they didn't know about Piper.

Annabeth tried to say something, but Periboia shook her by the neck. "Shut up! None of your silver-tongued trickery."

The princess drew a hunting knife as long as Percy's sword. "Let me do the honors, Father!"

Percy's heart jumped into his throat, but Porphyrion said, "Wait, Daughter." The king turned to Percy and smiled. "The Earth Mother said to begin with the son of Poseidon. She told me how to make him bleed."

Without any further warning, Porphyrion plucked Percy from Enceladus' hand like he was a toy to be passed around. He slammed Percy to the ground, stomach-down, so hard that his eyes rattled, and kept his hand there so Percy couldn't move.

"This one bears the Curse of Achilles!" Porphyrion called out to the jeering crowd. "Let's show these demigods that not even the memory of their greatest hero can protect them."

The crowd roared. Annabeth screamed, "No!"

Percy struggled uselessly. Porphyrion lifted Percy's shirt and pushed a finger into the small of his back. Electricity traveled through his whole body. Percy flinched and tried to move away unsuccessfully.

When your death comes, I promise it will be much more painful than gorgon's blood. Gaea had said. Percy remembered Luke Castellan's death, how he'd barely stabbed himself and yet he'd howled like he was being torn apart.

Percy struggled as much as he could, but Porphyrion's grip was firm. His heart was racing. This was his nightmare coming to life. Gaea knew his weak spot, and she'd told her children.

They'd sent Percy along with Annabeth and Piper because Poseidon's shrine would mask his scent, but he knew there was another reason. No one said it, but Percy knew they'd all been thinking the same thing—he couldn't bleed. Sending Percy presented the least risk of waking Gaea.