The Mark of Athena (Part 2)

Outside Topeka, Kansas

Too late, said a sleepy voice, humming through the fields all around them and resonating in the ground at Percy's feet.

The hair on the back of Percy's neck stood up. He and Jason drew their swords, on high alert. Piper stood on the road between them. The power of Gaea was suddenly everywhere. The sunflowers turned to look at them. The wheat bent toward them like a million scythes.

Welcome to my party, Gaea murmured, her voice coming with a hot hissing sound. What did Bacchus say? The goddess mocked. A simple, low-key affair with organic snacks? Yes. For my snacks, I need only two: the blood of a female demigod, and the blood of a male. Piper, my dear, choose which hero will die with you.

Percy tightened his grip on his sword. He didn't know Piper and Jason very well yet, but he wasn't about to let them die. Or himself.

"Gaea!" Jason yelled. "Stop hiding in the wheat. Show yourself!"

Such bravado, Gaea hissed. But the other one, Percy Jackson, also has appeal. Choose, Piper McLean, or I will.

Aw, you're making me blush, Percy thought. He needed a plan, but that was never his strong suit. Annabeth wasn't here.

Besides, something about this felt off. Why would Gaea let Piper choose one of them? Why would Gaea let one of them go? What was she playing at?

"You're insane!" Piper shouted, looking afraid. "I'm not choosing anything for you!"

Suddenly Jason gasped. He sat up straight in his saddle.

"Jason!" Piper cried. "What's wrong—"

He looked down at Piper, his expression deadly calm. His eyes were no longer blue. They glowed solid gold.

Before Percy had a chance to do anything, he felt a coldness creep through him. His head began to buzz, and when he tried to shift himself, he didn't move. Thoughts formed in his head, all focused on one thing: killing Jason. There was nothing he wanted more right now than to kill Jason.

Piper cried, "Percy, help!" and stumbled back from Tempest.

Something made Percy turn and gallop away from them. He stopped thirty feet down the road and wheeled Blackjack around. He raised his sword and pointed the tip at Jason.

"One will die," Percy said, but the voice wasn't his. It was deep and hollow, like someone whispering from inside the barrel of a cannon. It scraped in his throat.

"I will choose," Jason answered, in the same hollow voice.

"No!" Piper yelled.

Boss, what are you doing? Blackjack said.

Percy couldn't answer. He forced Blackjack to obey him.

All around them, the fields crackled and hissed, laughing in Gaea's voice. Percy and Jason charged at each other, their weapons ready.

No matter what Percy did, he couldn't drop his sword or change course. He couldn't speak, could barely breathe outside the weird rhythm of whatever thing was controlling him. He was screaming inside, fighting to break free and stop himself, but nothing happened.

The worst part—something inside Percy wanted to do this. He wanted to hurt Jason, even kill him. He wanted to fight to the death, and he had no intention of dying. And Percy couldn't tell if that desire came from him or some foreign passenger in his body.

Boss! Blackjack cried. I thought he was your friend!

If not for Blackjack and Tempest pausing for a moment, Piper would have been trampled. The horses gave her enough time to leap out of the way, but Percy and Jason continued charging until they collided.