"Because I'm married to the most beautiful woman."

Estelle laughs, her cheeks turning pink from her husband's words, "let's go to the ballroom now, Niko."

"Announcing the entrance of the Duke and Duchess of the Blanchard Dukedom, his excellency, Duke Nikolaidis Carvelho de Blanchard and, her grace, Duchess Estelle Beauvoir-Carvelho de Blanchard."

The majestic doors to the grand ballroom of Ghesquire Palace open and the Ducal couple step inside, all eyes on them. The Imperial Ball is held on the second day of the Founding Anniversary Festival and only the most important people in the continent are invited to the event. Mostly the royal families of the countries under the rule of the Empire are the guests. It's not the first time that Nikolaidis was asked to join this exclusive soirée but it's the first time he's coming as a married man.

Although he's worried about what will happen tonight, he has a sense of pride within him knowing that Estelle is beside him. I'm not the type to brag but, when it comes to Estelle, I want to show off to the world that I'm married to the most beautiful and amazing lady. My wife isn't just a pretty face but she's also kind, caring, supportive, intelligent, and the list goes on and on.

The Duke gives a nod to Grand Duke Marcos, who's standing beside his wife Grand Duchess Agatha, making eye contact with him as they pass by. The Grand Duke is talking to King Raymond of Wonheim, a prominent member of the Imperial Council. It's really sinking in that tonight my succession to the Grand Duke title will be made known to everyone.

Trumpets suddenly sound and all the guest face the entrance of the room. The court herald speaks, "announcing the arrival of the Imperial Family; her Royal Highness, Princess Athisha Ludington; her Royal Highness, Princess Athmichela Ludington."

The twin princess enter, wearing matching tiaras that shine under the lights, and everyone bows.

The herald continues, "his Imperial Highness, Crown Prince Henrik Ludington, with her Imperial Highness, Crown Princess Yulya Ludington." 

It's been a while since I last saw him wearing a crown, Nikolaidis thinks as Prince Henrik enters with his wife holding his arm. The Crown Prince keeps his icy gaze straight ahead as he passes, not bothering to look at Nikolaidis and Estelle who were both bowing respectfully to the royals.

"And, his Imperial Majesty, Emperor Maghnus Ludington de Ghesquire the Third." 

"May the gods pour blessings upon all your days, our Imperial Majesty!" Everyone says while bowing to the Emperor who slowly makes his way to the throne, his three children and daughter-in-law at his side.

"Thank you for coming to this year's Imperial Ball," the Emperor speaks. He looks weaker than the last time they had seen him. 

Emperor Maghnus takes a seat before continuing, "we have many reasons to celebrate as our Empire has continued to prosper. I know that this is the blessings of the gods and it is also because of all of you, my loyal subjects' efforts. I cannot acknowledge every single one of you but I assure that your contribution to the Empire is not left unrecognized."

The crowd bursts into loud claps. The emperor raises his hand to silence them, "as per tradition, this is also the event where I make announcements that are significant to our empire. First, it brings me great joy to make known that my daughters, the twin Princesses, are engaged and to be wed next spring. Princess Athisha will marry Prince Krisham, Crown Prince of Avignon. Princess Athmichela will marry Prince Lazaro, Crown Prince of Ulydel. Their marriages will not only strengthen the alliance of our colonies but will also secure a strong bloodline for the future of our Empire." 

The twins step forward with their fiancés and more applause follow. The men beside the Princesses are familiar to the Duke as he's been previously acquainted to them. 

"Were their marriages arranged?" Estelle whispers to Nikolaidis. He nods to her in response. 

"But they appear happy and seem to match well with their future husbands, good for them. It looks like we'll be attending a lot of events come spring," she says with a lighthearted laugh.

The Duke smiles at his wife, "it seems so, my love."

"Secondly, I'd like to announce that I, together with the Imperial Council, have already chosen the heir to the title of Grand Duke of Ghesquire. As you must know, my younger brother, Grand Duke Marcos, will retire from his position early and has left no heir." 

The crowd murmurs, speculating who will be the person named. This is such an important title because in the Ghesquire Imperial line of succession, after the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, it is the Grand Duke who is third in line to be Emperor. Nikolaidis swallows hard, expecting what's to come next.

"The next Grand Duke will be Nikolaidis Carvelho, the current Duke of Blanchard. He will remain ruler of the Blanchard Dukedom while earning the higher title of Grand Duke and will be crowned after the end of the Founding Anniversary festivities."

All the guests are surprised but pleased with the revelation. They turn their eyes to Nikolaidis and clap for him approvingly. The Duke steps forward and gracefully bows to the Emperor.

"Let's hear a few words from Duke Nikolaidis," Emperor Maghnus says.

Nikolaidis didn't prepare a speech but he knows this is the perfect moment to appease Crown Prince Henrik and make the Prince know he has no intentions to compete for the throne.