Chapter 11

This is intense - was the only thought Estelle could think as her three personal maids do all sorts of beauty rituals to her. Full body massages. Facials. Hair treatments. Fragrant bubble baths. These seemed a little too much, even for a Duchess. But Delia insisted that these were basic and necessary.

"You have to look your best for your birthday party, my lady!" The maid explained when Estelle asked if she really has to spend the whole day preparing.

The maids put on the final pieces of their Duchess' birthday outfit - rose gold dangling earrings encrusted with rare pink diamonds. At last they were done. Estelle walked over to the full-length mirror and gasped at her own reflection. She looked like a princess from a renaissance painting. Her pink off-shoulder gown hugged all her curves and made her waist look impossibly tiny. Her black hair is styled in a half updo with little white flowers and crystals scattered around her dark locks. She sparkled and shined with every little movement.

"You did amazing work. Thank you ladies," Estelle turns to thank her maids. They returned her gratitude with tired but proud smiles.

"The Duke will come any minute to escort you to the ballroom now!" Delia gushes. She seems more excited about the party than her master.

Estelle suddenly feels nervous. She doesn't know how Nikolaidis will react upon seeing her. I shouldn't be concerned with how he thinks of me but I can't stop myself from wondering if he'll think I look pretty! She could feel her cheeks heating up.

Someone knocks on the door. It must be the duke. Gosh, why do I feel so tense? It's not like this is a date or our wedding. It's just my birthday party. But this will be the first time I'll face him so dressed up like this. Will he think it's too much? Will he get turned off?

Nikolaidis comes into the room looking handsome as always. His eyes immediately go to his wife who's avoiding his gaze. She feels shy and thinks she's overdressed for the occasion. He takes a few steps forward, keeping his ocean blue eyes glued on her. The three maids feel like their intruding on their masters' private moment so they quickly leave. Estelle feels even more shy now that she's alone with her husband.

"Happy birthday Estelle," Nikolaidis' voice was tender.

I want to see his expression. She looks up and meets his eyes. She breaks out a smile when she sees his flushed cheeks and soft eyes. He could melt me with just this look alone...

"Beautiful," he whispers in a daze as he stretches his hand out for her.

Estelle swallows hard. Nikolaidis, you're really making this so difficult for me! She awkwardly looks away and takes his hand, "let's go."

"I'll give you my present after the party," he tells her as they made their way to the ballroom.

She nods and pretends to be nonchalant even though, in her mind, she's squealing with excitement. Nikolaidis is going to give me a gift! I wonder what it is? I shouldn't be so happy but my heart races with just the thought of getting something from him!

"Presenting his excellency, Duke Nikolaidis Carvelho de Blanchard and her grace, Duchess Estelle Beauvoir-Carvelho de Blanchard," Abenant announces as they step inside the ballroom.

The place was lighted up by thousands of candles hanging from crystal chandeliers. Countless pink and white roses decorated every corner. Dozens of nobles dressed in their best suits and gowns greeted Estelle a happy birthday as she and Nikolaidis made their way to the middle of the room.

"Thank you all for coming to my dear wife's birthday," the Duke addresses the guests, "we hope all of you will enjoy the party!"

The small orchestra starts playing music and Nikolaidis kneels, offering his hand to Estelle, "may I have a dance with you?"