Chapter 10

"Sweetie, p-please wake up..." Mom's voice was muffled but it sounded like she was crying. I could hear beeping sounds around the room and it smelled strongly like disinfectant.

"M-mm mo..." I tried to call for her but it felt like something was stuck in my throat. I attempt to open my eyes but my eyelids felt too heavy. Mom, I want to see you...

"Mom!" Estelle screams as she jolts awake.

"Duchess!" The maid runs into the room after she heard her master's shriek. "Are you alright, your grace?"

Estelle felt cold all over and was shaking like a leaf. Was I just dreaming? It felt way too real that I thought I returned to my own world. I've been feeling really homesick lately and I especially miss my mom...

"Please don't cry, my lady! Do you want me to call Dr. Ludovic?" Delia worries for the Duchess.

Estelle didn't realize she was crying, "no, don't call for the doctor. I'm alright, Delia. I just had a nightmare."

"Oh, you had me worried dear Duchess! Would you like to get ready for the day now, your grace? You must be excited since the Marquess and Marchioness, as well as the young master Beauvoir, are all going to arrive this afternoon."

Right, my birthday is tomorrow and my family is arriving a day earlier before the party. I wonder what they're like and what kind of relationship I have with them? Is Estelle close to her parents? I also found out recently that I have a brother who's 10 years younger than me. I feel a little nervous meeting Estelle's family. They're the people who've known her for the longest time so they might find me, the 'new Estelle', strange and different.

"Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing my family..." Estelle feigns enthusiasm. 

~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~ ~~▪~~

Someone knocks softly on the boudoir door. "Come in," Estelle calls.

"Are you ready, my lady?" Nikolaidis comes into the room looking like a prince straight out of a novel. He offers his gloved hand to his wife.

Estelle gets lost in her thoughts for a second, admiring how handsome he is. This man is not real, she thinks to herself. She regains her senses and takes his hand without saying a word. They head down together to the castle's main entrance to welcome the Beauvoir Family.

She notices that Nikolaidis looks like he wants to ask her something but is hesitant to do so. She's been avoiding him more after his return. A few days ago, they've even stopped eating dinner together even though Estelle hates eating alone. The only time that she sees him is when they sleep beside each other at night. They're practically strangers sharing one bed.

There's an immense feeling of guilt in Estelle's chest at what she's doing to her kind husband. She knows he doesn't deserve this kind of treatment from her. She wants to kick herself for crying beside him the other week. She's been bottling up her emotions but that night they all spilled over when she saw how hurt Nikolaidis looked at her rejection to his offer.

He was right beside her when she couldn't stop herself from crying. She thought he wouldn't notice but he did. He embraced and comforted her wordlessly until she fell asleep. He probably wants to ask me why I cried so much that night. But I can't exactly tell him I was crying because I feel homesick, scared, anxious and guilty, all at the same time.

The grand doors to the Blanchard Castle are open all the way, ready to receive their most honorable guests. A red and gold carriage stops right at the entrance. Estelle holds her breath as the castle servants help three regal looking people disembark from the carriage.

"My darling daughter!" A beautiful blonde woman rushes to Estelle and envelops her in a tight hug.

The woman's green eyes are misty as she holds her daughter's face and gazes at her with motherly affection, "I missed you so much, my beautiful Estelle!"