I Found You

Depuis le début

What the hell is eating away at him? He seems so displaced.

I walk around the car, getting in and putting my seatbelt on. He climbs in a few seconds later doing the same as I start the car up and head in the direction that the GPS instructs.

''So—'' I start, about to ask him what's bothering him but he starts speaking at the same time, and I glance over to see he's talking on his phone.

''Have you found him yet?'' Damien asks, a sense of urgency in his voice. A sigh leaves his lips at whatever the other persons response is and I hear him take a deep breath. ''Well I just texted Skylar for the tenth time and he's still saying he hasn't heard from him and his calls are also going straight to voicemail when he tries to get in contact with him...Yeah, yeah I know, and it's only because if I don't stay calm I'm going to fucking flash out...I just hope he didn't do anything stupid, I hope he's okay. He's been pulling away from me so much lately, and I know how easy it is for him to feel alone when he gets in his own head and goes to thinking the worse.''

A bout of worry fills the pit of my stomach when I realize that he's talking about Cody.

''Hey, what's going on?'' I demand from Damien.

I know firsthand how screwed up Cody's life has been, and I know just how closed in he can start to feel when he thinks that he's alone and has no one.

I know how easy it is for him to push people away, and then to crash when the people he wants to pull closer don't want to be there or can't be there.

I know how dark it's been for him, and unfortunately, I know how dark it can still get.

I pulled him out of that pit of darkness so many times before I left for college. But each and every time, despite my efforts, his parents managed to push him back in.

What the hell has sucked him in this time?

He seemed fine when I saw him in New York.

Life needs to cut this kid a break. He's been through way too fucking much, way too young.

''What happened?'' I ask again.

Damien simply shakes his head in my direction, going back to the phone call.

''Okay well I have to drop Steven off at my house and then I'm going to finish driving around to look for him,'' A loud sigh leaves Damien's lips, ''Yeah...I know...I get that Javier, I do. My priorities are straight. Obviously, I hadn't planned for this to happen but I'd rather us focus our energy on finding him than talking about this right now.''

''Damien,'' I urge him once he's done with the phone call, ''What the hell is going on? Talk to me, please.'' I plead.

Another heavy sigh leaves his lips and I glance at him to see him looking at me with weary, drained blue eyes.

''Cody's missing,'' He says quietly, looking away from me.

''What?!'' I yell, my hand tightening on the wheel as my head begins to spin with the worst thoughts possible.

I shake my head, clearing my mind of all of the negativity.

This can't be as bad as it seems, yet from the look in Damien's eyes, I highly doubt that.

''When I got home last night, after I called you, he still wasn't home yet. So when I called his phone and didn't get an answer I assumed he was with either Skylar or Scarlet, but a quick call to their parents let me know that they were both at home and that Cody hadn't been over there at all. So after I blew up the phone of every single person he's ever hung out with and they hadn't heard from him since school either, I lost my shit. I called Javier and we've been looking for him ever since.''