"Gentlemen.

Potter and Malfoy

Nott and Longbottom

Weasley and Zabini

Finnigan and Thomas."

"Why do Dean and Seamus get to room together?", Ron asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"If you wish to room with Mr. Thomas instead and have Mr. Finnigan continuously sneak into your room, be my guest Mr. Weasley. I presumed it to be in everyone's best interest if I allowed them to room together."

Snickers were heard across the room, and Ron turned red, shutting up immediately.

"Now, as for the rules. As you're all adults, you have no curfew. I expect this privilege not to be exploited to the point where it interferes with your school work. I also extend the invitation to leave the grounds whenever you wish. However, I stress that you inform me first. Send a patronus if you're able, see me in my office, send me a note. I also strongly encourage you to let another classmate know of your location if you're not comfortable telling me.

I'll leave all of you to unpack and get settled. The password to my office is lemon drops. I'm so very proud of you all. If there are any problems at all, please do not hesitate to contact me. If it is something of lesser importance, I recommend you speak with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Potter. They have both been a great deal of help to me.

I must also stress that you look out for each other. No one knows better than you all the effects that the war has had on everyone. Take care of each other. Above all else, respect each other. Sleep well. Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, I'll drop you off at the Gryffindor tower on the way back to my office."

With that, the three of them headed out, and the eighth years stood around awkwardly, looking at each other.

"I'll be the one to break the awkward silence then. I'd like to apologize to all of you for my previous actions. I know that a simple I'm sorry doesn't equal forgiveness, but I'm willing to work for it. I'll apologize to all of you more personally later who I haven't already spoken to, but once again, I'm sorry. I've been trying to do better and unlearn everything that I've been taught", Draco said, voice strong, hands shaking so faintly that you had to stare at them to notice the subtle anomaly.

"I'm proud of you Draco. It takes a lot to address a crowd like this", Luna said airily, pulling him into a hug that he immediately returned.

The rest of the eighth years exchanged looks, not knowing where this unlikely friendship came from.

"Draco took care of me when I was a prisoner in Malfoy Manor. He gave all of us food and water, and pretended to torture us to keep us safe. All we had to do was pretend to scream and writhe in pain. I've gotten quite good at it."

"He saved Fred's life", Ginny chimed in.

"You don't have to-"

Ginny cut Draco off once again.

"No, we don't have to be your character witnesses, but we want to be. We've seen firsthand how you've changed Malfoy. You're not the same spoiled, obnoxious prat you were. You can still be an obnoxious prat, but it's mostly tolerable now."

Draco let out a laugh, a real laugh, and that was enough to break the tense atmosphere.

"We'll take tomorrow to get to know everyone then. Really know everyone", Dean offered.

"I've got the alcohol", Seamus chimed in, a giant grin on his face.

"I can mix drinks", Pansy offered, testing the air.