Inanimate Emotions

Start from the beginning

"I've thought about shutting them up, but after last night's shitty sleep-"

He's interrupted by a loud shriek, a completely un-fae sound, that comes from Renae. Like a scream but without even opening her mouth. Like her power itself exploded.

It gets everyone's curious attention and Ren smiles professionally and joins Rhysand's side at the table. She gives everyone a glance that they understand and join her at the large circle.

"I see we're making progress." Her voice a whisper compared to the ear-straining screams moments ago. Rhys cowers- disappointed by his actions- Jurian and the other human protectors showing no sign of this.

"The whole point of this meeting was to secure a fool-proof plan to get back those Montesere have stolen. I'd love to hear what ideas the lot of you have come up with?" The cool exterior she's wearing proves why Rhys wanted her as his second.

"We need as many fae backing us up in order to safely retrieve the humans. Stopping the village construction briefly won't have drastic consequences." Rhys replies to her sarcastic but partly genuine question.

"Why should we believe you. Everything you've said so far has lead to loss or endangerment of the human lives. You put us in charge of taking care of them, yet all that has happened so far if you calling all the shots and each one ending in more deaths and destruction." Jurian counters, making his tone more assertive but keeping the volume at a minimum- no doubt avoiding Renae's strange shriek.

"I am sorry for all of this, I know it's my fault. I put the three of you in charge of closely keeping an eye on them and protecting them but ultimately it is my decision. I'm trying my best-"

"Tell that to the humans. They don't care. All they see is their depleting numbers and blame it on you- on us."

"I am gathering fae to go with me to Montesere, anybody who wishes to join. If you'd prefer to stay and persuade everybody to lay bricks and build houses instead of retrieving those you swear to protect, be my guest." Rhysand lays his palms flat against the table and wins the silent battle of who's more assertive.

Jurian says no more and stalks out of the room, agreeing to Rhysand's terms. Lucien and Vassa follow not long after, showing a little more respect.

After they leave, Rhys doesn't falter his cold exterior that he put on before Jurian and the others. "Azriel, Cassian, gather as many people willing to join our trip to Montesere. Nesta is in charge of watching over those three while the four of us are away, the Cauldron knows what they'll try whilst we're out."

"Four of us?" Renae questions.

"Az, Cas, Feyre and I," he clarifies and shows no sympathy for how much she desperately wants to help, "Ren, you and Ali are banned from ever returning to their lands. The scene you both caused is the reason we're in this mess." He storms out of the room with his shadows trailing behind. Ren doesn't move from staring down at the table as everyone leaves after him.

"He didn't mean it like that. I'll talk to him." Feyre places a hand against her shoulder and exits, leaving Ren and I.

"We can't just let them get away with this," she mumbles and I wonder if she even knows I've stayed, "they get away with everything!" Her fists slam down against the table and I flinch, praying it wouldn't break.

"They were shit parents and got away with that. They're selfish rulers and get away with that. Montesere is even known to have the best therapists for people like me- those young males and females attracted to the 'wrong type'." She turns around to face me, leaning against the table. Her head hangs low and I try creeping into her thoughts through the bond but I hit a barrier I've never met before.

"It's my fault they banned you. You shouldn't have been dragged into that- into my mess-"

"Ren! I was very aware of the consequences that night. I still would've protected you. You aren't at fault for my actions."

"If I wasn't the daughter of those monsters- this wouldn't have happened-"

"They're your parents. They chose to have a child knowing they wouldn't accept it if it were like you. That's their own problem and anything that happened because of that is their fault. Not yours for being who you are." Her eyes finally meet mine and she pulls me into a desperate type of kiss that lets me know how grateful she is. Usually she keeps my stare for a few moments to ensure whether I'm comfortable with what she's about to do, but the need must've clouded her judgement.

She pulls me closer until I'm stood between her legs whilst she leans further back onto the table, inching us bit by bit atop it. Each movement is slow as if trying not to frighten me. The patience she has to take such precautions when I know she needs this, is why I trust her- makes me want her more.

This can't be the bond, surely the mating bond isn't as powerful as to create such strong feelings. The Cauldron is powerful, but are its powers enough to instil these heart-quickening shivers of lust and delicate tickles of butterflies?

Can something as inanimate as emotions even be controlled by the mate bond?

Don't forget to vote if you're enjoying it so far :D
Thanks for reading!