Home

*This is a fanfic on A Court of Thorns and Roses. Most of the characters, creatures and places, etc are made by the author Sara J Maas. I have made some characters myself, however.*

Anyway, I hope you enjoy A Court of Lies and Secrets...

~~~

"Alirra Reign! Get your arse out of that bed now!" There it is. My full name, or what I know of it. Reign is my middle name, but I've always preferred to use it beside my first name instead.

I flip my body over and stare out of the little roof window, covered in ice and snow. The beauty of the Winter Court, extra long winters with thick blankets of snow like an added layer of insulation for the cottages. Large icicles that the young children in the village use as swords during play.

Home.

I groan extra-loud just to rub it into Adara's mind that I'm really not happy about her commands that have been bouncing off the walls all morning.

"Thats fine, whine about it all you like, you're still leaving this house in precisely 30 minutes whether you look presentable or not." That was a lie. Adara is obsessed with making this messed-up family of ours look perfect and not at all like the Mother just threw a handful of outcasts into an abandoned cottage.

Adara is the eldest of our band of exiles. She was thrown out by her family in the middle of the night - for reasons she prefers not to say - and spent years jumping from court to court never staying longer than a month or so. She tells the youngsters of her travels and adventures as soothing bedtime stories that I've heard plenty throughout my own bringing-up here. I wasn't as young as some of them here now, but Adara treats us all like equals and as if we're all her own children- despite the fact she and I aren't that far apart in age.

Practically throwing my aching limbs down the ladder into the already cramped dining area that has chairs, counters, cupboards and endless amounts of clutter from cutlery to Little Kit's bear toy that has no doubt been shredded yet again by one of the other youngsters.

Loud, crowded, hectic: but home all the same. Adara has worked and provided for every single one of us and got each of us whatever we needed- sometimes a little more than what we need, but she always manages and I am forever thankful for her.

"Have you packed?" Adara looks up from the pan of steaming egg that she's piling onto the plates laid out in front of a table of drooling children.

"Yes."

"Cleaned yourself?"

"Last night."

"Well, best to have a quick wash before you leave, just to be safe." I roll my eyes and plod toward the bowl of bubbled water that she clearly made just for me, whether I'd already cleaned or not.

I was the first Adara took in- little did she know that there would be a whole gaggle of children after me that she just couldn't help but take care of. Some of the young ones have families and houses in our village but prefer Adara so much, as a mother, that they spend most of their day here: eat our food, play with the outcasts, and only return home when the candlelights have died out in their houses. It breaks my heart that they don't feel safe with their own families, and that Adara can't take them in wholly, I know she'd desire nothing more that to keep every single one of them, but not only do we not have the room, they still have a family- and Adara always swore by her rule that she would only take in those who have been abandoned. No need to waste room for those with a house for themselves. A tough rule for Adara to live by, considering her kind heart struggles to watch them leave at the end of the day, to only run back wide-eyed frightened the next morning.