Chapter One: Loyalties

Chapter One: ~ Lina

Looking outside I watch as the pack prepares for tomorrow. The Blue Moon celebrations begin and it was our year to host them. Tomorrow our small pack will be crowded and filled with unmated wolves from other packs. Not only that but they will be on alert in hopes of finding their mates. Ugh. Just the thought makes me shiver in disgust and fear. I mean it is bad enough trying to deal with those from my own pack as it is without strangers adding to the hostility.

Over the years I have grown to hate the pack. Hate the wolves. Especially in the last few years, the malice has been the main reason behind it. I'm being judged for being the way I am. A freak of nature too many people. I know all this, I know I'm different yet they still point it out all the time to me and I hate it. It isn't exactly my fault that I'm a half breed...the offspring of a bunch of supernatural beings as unnatural as the witches are. I don't know anything really of the witches, other than what they tried to do. Yet surely not all clans are like that? My own clan was sure, but there are bound to be some good witches out there.

I know what you are all thinking, I really do. I should be grateful to the wolves for taking me in, making me part of their pack. I know this too, I am as well don't get me wrong. Yet how can one be grateful when their own pack is treating them as if they are nothing but a piece of dirt? Have you ever tried being grateful to people who don't actually want you there? It is tough let me tell you that. I cannot help what I am, it isn't like I can rewrite my genetics. At the end of the day this feud within the pack and me is over something as stupid and uncontrollable as genetics.

I know little of what the witches were all like, other than the fact that they were evil. They thought themselves above everyone else, the dominant supernatural species and sought to destroy or conquer all others. The majority have been 'purged' and are still purged today. There are still the major clans still going but I don't ask about the past linked with witches. If they think I am beginning to tie loyalties to them then I myself could be 'purged'.

Of course this meant that being part witch I had my own powers and skills, which are amazing...kind off. I have to teach myself about them, how to use them effectively. It is difficult but the Alpha of my pack did find a few accounts from witches that have helped me. At least with the healing aspects of the powers anyways. There isn't much about offensive powers, all defensive. Even then they were very vague.

For all I know the fictional books could be true, the stories might not actually be just stories at all. Although the whole werewolf stories are way off. You know all the shifting at the moon, the uncontrollable blood lust of killing. Way off. They do the wolves no real justice at all. Or at least none I have read, which is very few. I try not to read about the wolves, I mean why should I when I live with them? I have to put up with them every day so I would much rather not read books about them.

Our pack is one of the smaller packs, our land not as much as we'd like too. Yet its home I guess, I've been raised up here for the past...well fifteen years near enough. I was three then and will be eighteen extremely soon. Not that anyone in the pack cares. Even Alpha Matt forgets. I don't care though, it's just another birthday...no big deal when it arrives. My birthdays have never really been important so I don't let it bother me. Just another day, nothing of real importance.

From my window I watch as they put up banners, and fairy lights, making the place look nice and special. I gag, the whole celebration was insane. Every two years a blue moon will appear and not the extra moon that google comes up with when you look up the blue moon. A real blue moon appears and is the time when all werewolf packs join together and hold celebrations as many find their mates. A mating ceremony in a way I guess.

Every two years the celebrations happen in different parts of the world and different groups are invited to different celebrations. For example, here in England were having two American packs and a Romanian pack over. Whereas, in Japan they are having Australian, an English, some American packs etc. It varies each year like I said. Don't get me wrong it's nice they combine packs and don't hold much hate towards each other....sometimes.... But the truth is I will be forced to leave the packs territory whilst this is going on because the Alpha doesn't want anyone knowing about me. Or at least that is the plan...I could be wrong.

In truth he shouldn't have let me live. Yet he did. He could be severely punished for it by the elders. I shiver not wanting to think what would even happen to me if I were to be discovered. So tomorrow I will head into the main town until I was called back which will probably not be until the next morning. Which is fine by me, I could do with a shopping trip, I need new horror books to read anyways.

A knock on the door breaks me out of my thoughts and I walk to the door. Opening it, I see Alpha Matt standing there.

"Good evening Melina," he says walking inside without me telling him he could.

"Sure," I mutter "Walk on in, make yourself at home and all." I see him roll his eyes as I close the door and follow him into the living room. "What can I help you with?"

"In truth...you are to attend the celebrations tomorrow." I cough and stare at him. Has he gone mad? Why the hell would I be attending? People will know about me! The secret will be out. I'll be executed! Does he not realise this?

"Why?" I ask bluntly.

"Because, the mating can be dangerous if a wolf tries to mate someone who isn't theirs. This could lead to accidents and you're better and quicker than a pack doctor. Besides you might get a mate of your own."

"Riiiiigggghhhtt," I say "because that's possible all things considered."

"We don't know that it's not," Alpha Matt says and I just roll my eyes.

"What if I refuse?"

"Then I hand you in to the elders as a trespasser on my land."

"Why? Why are you being like this now? Anyways your secret will be out and I'll be executed!"

"Because Melina, a war is starting and we need to test your loyalties. Besides you need to get out more. Oh and you won't die, I have actually talked to the elders about you."

I growl at him and his comments but nod. Clenching my fists in anger. He smirks and leaves.

-----------------------------------------

When it was dark outside I took a walk through our pack and into the forest. It was nice and cool, quiet as everyone was inside and patrol hadn't reached this part yet. I grinned as I ran for a while enjoying the air hitting my skin.

It felt nice to be outside and have this freedom. I constantly tried to stay hidden from sight, I hated the pack and their judging ways. I tried not to judge them despite the fact I knew all their secrets.

It was then I froze, a cold dark presence hitting my sense and making me involuntarily shiver. I looked around to see no one and bit my lip. There was definitely someone here. Someone lurking in the shadows and watching me.

"Who's there?" I say holding power in my voice.

"My I never thought I'd see a little witch working for the wolves." Says a woman walking out from in front of me.

"What do you want?" I hiss at her.

"My dear," she says looking offended. "Is that anyway to treat your dear aunt?"

I step back my eyes widening. Then I take in her appearance. She looks a lot like me the only difference being our eyes. I shake my head. It could be a trick after all...

"Why are you here?" I snap.

"I'm here to hopefully recruit you on the witches side my dear Melina," she says truthfully. I wince at her using my name. It sounds wrong. So wrong. "You see, you are the key to winning the war. With you on our side the witches can reclaim what is ours. We're not all evil like they tell you. The wolves stole something from us and we want it back."

"Why should I help you? This could all be a trick for all I know."

"Because my dear, without our help the darkness that manifests in you will destroy anything you hold dear. Look sweetie. You need us."

"The hell I do." She sighs and shakes her head.

"You'll see soon enough," she says "when you decide to take our help just think about me, and I'll appear. The wolves have been deceiving you my dear, withholding the truth. I can help you."

I growl and she sighs before vanishing...I shake my head and take a deep breath. So the witches want me and the wolves are testing me....

I sigh and wonder where my loyalties should lie.....

witter���]��