Ch. 10 The Overlooked

Start from the beginning

"Derek, wait, wait!" she cried. "You need me."

"What are you?" Derek growled.

"The only person who can save your sister. Call Peter. Call him!" she told him.

|

The three teenagers waited while Derek spoke to the former alpha on the phone. He never released Jennifer as he did so, simply holding her by the throat with one hand and talking on the phone with the other. Peter confirmed that Cora had been poisoned by mistletoe and it was killing her.

Derek hung up on him as soon as he did so and tightened his grip on Jennifer's throat. The woman made several choked sounds as she struggled for air. "Derek, what are you doing?" Scott asked him.

"Her life- it's in my hands!" Jennifer warned. The alpha still lifted her off the ground and tightened his grip on her throat.

Stiles dropped Ayla's hand, moving forward. "Stop. Derek, stop!" he pleaded.

"Stilinski, you'll never find him," Jennifer told them.

"Derek!" Ayla spoke up, moving forward. "You can be pissed off, but whether any of us like it or not, you can't kill her. Not till Cora and the Sheriff are safe. Now let her go!"

Derek dropped the woman to the ground, stepping back as if it pained him to do so. "That's right. You need me. All of you," the woman told them.

|

The five of them arrived at the hospital and had to run through the pouring rain to get inside. A storm had came in, making lightning flash and thunder boom outside. They were making their way back to the elevator when Melissa came running over.

"Scott! Scott!" she called, gaining her son's attention. "What are you doing here? The hospital's evacuating."

"We're here for Cora," Scott explained.

"What, all of you?" Melissa asked, looking at the group. She frowned as her eyes landed on the Stilinski among them. "Why does Stiles have my bat?"

"Mom, just trust me on this. You need to get out of here. Right now," Scott told her.

"The building is supposed to be clear in thirty minutes. Okay? We've got two ambulances that are coming back. One's ten minutes out, the other's twenty. Cora needs to be on one of those. They'll be picking up in the basement garage," Melissa told him.

"Got it," Scott said, moving to walk away with the others.

Melissa watched him worriedly. "He'll be fine," Ayla promised her, sending the woman a smile. Melissa nodded and the teenage girl quickly jogged to catch up with the others.

They all made their way into the elevator, Derek dragging Jennifer with him. He hadn't let go of her arm since they got out of his car. "You don't have to keep me on a leash, Derek. I'm going to help," she told him. She then glanced around the elevator, noticing everyone's defensive stances.

Ayla didn't actually see the woman doing anything in the elevator, but her, Scott and Derek were all ready to attack if she did. And Stiles looked ready to swing at the woman with the baseball bat at any moment.

The elevator dinged and they all began to walk down the hall. The lights flickered, making it clear the storm was getting worse. They reached Cora's room, finding it empty. The only sign that she had been there was the puddle of black blood mixed with mistletoe on the ground. Drops of black blood lead out of the room and down the hall. "Derek," Scott said, drawing his attention. Everyone turned to where the droplets ended at a door. As they listened, they began to hear fighting past the door.