xxiv.

I exhaled deeply, staring at the bricks that created a cheesy flower on the floor of the entrance of the door. I remember when it was newly made, I was nearly seven and he bragged about all the new renovations that his house was having which included the flower bricks and a new pool. Now that pool hasn't been open since we were fifteen and those bricks are terribly chipped.

I exhaled. I let the last few seconds of my James Arthur song, "Get Down", play, nearly as a way to prepare myself for what could happen next. I'm not sure how a song that clearly dictates my feeling for him would help, but I love it nonetheless.

"You've been standing out here for roughly three minutes. I was worried that you were never going to ring that doorbell." Mali chuckled softly, swinging open the burgundy painted door of their house that they should consider repainting.

I smiled wearily at her. "Just letting a song finish, that's all." I step past her, entering a house I haven't been in since the last time Calum and I slept together. That was months ago and it leaves a stale taste in my mouth. Mumbling, that seemed like arguing came from upstairs, the room all the way at the end.

"Calum has someone over?" I asked curiously, walking over to the staircase. Mali was hesitant to answer, leaving her mouth agape as if there was something she was avoiding telling me. I looked over at the coat rack, seeing a familiar lilac sweater that was a bit more stretched out as it was before. "It's Jenni isn't it." I spoke up, rolling my eyes, continuing to walk up the stairs.

The hallway felt like it was spinning completely, my legs shaking every time I got closer to his room and the voices of them two became clearer. I stood next to the door that was slightly left opened.

"You shouldn't bend over, it's not good for the baby." Calum suggested to Jenni, sitting on the edge of his bed. His wheelchair was tucked on the other side of this room, near his desk, meaning that he was close to walking on his own.

"The baby should actually be grateful, this was probably the position it was conceived in." Jenni bitterly responded, picking up books that had fallen. I sighed, knocking softly on the door, catching their attention. Jenni immediately looked away angrily, whereas Calum was generally surprised.

"Scar." He whispered, as if he couldn't comprehend that fact that I was actually here. I bit my lip and nodded.

"Scarlet Jae Foster, completely here in the flesh." I joked, chuckling weakly. I stepped in his room, still leaving the door open, just in case I need to flee for some reason. I greet Jenni softly, although she doesn't acknowledge my presence one bit.

"Everyone should be here in a couple minutes." Calum informed, looking at his watch. I nodded, not wanting to say much to him in the first place, or to say that much in general. I wanted to get this all over with, cling myself to Michael, and pretend to listen to half the things that are going to be said.

"Can't believe it's been twelve weeks since the accident." A familiar voice murmured, coming closing to the room and causing me to turn around swiftly.

"I can't believe that we had to complete a ten week program of therapy." Luke said to Michael, fixing his snapback that he wore a bit too often now. "We're not alcoholics."

"Well, I'm actually sober so that could be considered a good thing." Ashton joked, poking his glasses up. I am glad that he finally took it upon himself to be sober, especially since our last phone call about four days ago, and is wearing glasses, because Ashton Irwin is as blind as a bat.

All greeted me with smiles warmer than the one I greeted them back with. I immediately hung onto Michael's arm, finding relief to be standing between him and the giant himself, Luke.