Chapter 6- Hero In Training

—————

Todoroki managed to survive his encounter with Iida. That was good, he thought, though he may have revealed too much information. It couldn't be good news to meet again, knowing he was a hero-in-training and Todoroki had the tendency to spill secrets.

Precisely why he only met with people once. But that was obviously broken now.

And of course, Todoroki revealed when and where Akaguro worked. Perhaps he should just stay home now to avoid further interactions. Better news would to be to kill Iida, but that didn't feel right. He only wanted help. 

Iida was nice too. He was just worried about his brother and was surprisingly worried about Todoroki's diet and night-owl tendencies too.

Not that it helped. Todoroki was still snacking on treats, popping a sugary lemon-and-cherry flavored gummy worm into his mouth and savoring the sweetness at 11 P.M.

Still, it was nice of him to care. 

"Still thinking about that Iida boy?"

Akaguro was sitting next to him, leg lifted up on the register desk and a crappy magazine he chose randomly sitting in his hands.

Todoroki nodded, looking down at the green-apple-and-orange flavored gummy worm he picked out. "If he ever comes again, can I still talk to him?"

Akaguro laid down his magazine in his lap, considering the idea. "It'd be best if you didn't but..." he sighed, "you're still a kid. You should be making friends and going to school and everything like that, not staying here and eating candy all day."

"Thank you," Todoroki said quietly, gratitude evident in his voice. He ate a blue-raspberry-and-strawberry flavored gummy worm. "I'm happy about this."

"But," Akaguro said, warning him. "he's training to be a hero."

"I know." Todoroki said seriously, an unspoken understanding flowing between them.

"Well, if he ever appears here again, go do whatever teenagers do these days," Akaguro said, lowering his leg and getting up. "It'll stop you from eating everything in stock here."

Todoroki flushed. "Yeah."

He blinked, watching Akaguro leave, probably to restock the shelves or something. Quietly, he zoned out, and Iida appeared in his mind once more.

"People aren't just one thing! We all have backgrounds and morals and motives! Who decides what's true and what's fake?! My brother is a good person! Who is he to decide if he is or isn't?!"

Todoroki ate another gummy worm. 

'I wonder if Iida counts as a friend.'

——

The third day of internships.

Patrolling was still slow like usual, and Iida was still looking out for the hero killer like usual. He had no luck the previous day, nor did he see Sho due to Manuel freaking out about where he was on the first day.

He still prayed though, because he knew he had more time. Sometimes his mind would drift to Uraraka or Midoriya for comfort, wondering what they were doing. They were enjoying their internships more than he was, free from the pressure of the mission he set for himself.

Iida shook his head. There was no time to think like that. He needed to focus, to do this for his brother. He focused back on the streets.

Manuel, standing next to him, had spoken. "Sorry we're just doing more patrolling," he apologized, "I was hoping it'd be a bit more exciting for you."

"O-Oh, no, it's fine..." Iida said, unfocused. "It's better that way, actually."

Manuel nodded, okay with that answer, before suddenly stopping. "Hey, I hate to ask but... you're after the hero killer, right?"

Iida stopped as well. "Well... that's..."

"I just don't know why else you'd choose my agency," Manuel said sheepishly. "N-Not that I'm not happy or anything, really, I am! Just... don't let yourself be motivated by personal grudges."

His face turned serious.

"Us heroes don't have the authority to make arrests or dole out punishments. We can only use our quirks because of advancing quirk regulation, but vigilantism is strictly against the law. If you go off on your own, that's considered a major crime."

Manuel suddenly panicked. "N-Not that I'm saying the hero killer should get off scot-free! I'm just worried about you! You look so serious."

"I... appreciate the warning." Iida said. He clenched his fists.

"Okay, I'm just letting you know," Manuel said. "Shall we continue?"

Iida nodded, so they did.

Night crept up onto them soon enough. Staring up at the sky, Iida thought it was about time their patrol was over. But then, when a sudden 'BOOM' rang out across the city, he realized it wasn't.

Smoke and screams and explosions erupted everywhere, and Manuel grit his teeth, starting to run and yelling at Iida to follow him.

He didn't.

Iida was staring down an alleyway instead, the dark passage almost inviting. There was something in there... something he needed to find...

Iida ran straight into the alley, engines on his legs flaring to life. Ahead of him, there was a figure, clad in red and steel, holding up another in a feathered cape. A figure in a black outfit with red markings on their mask was standing next to them.

Anger flared up in Iida. 

'Stain.'

—————

857 words

A/N- todoroki eating a bunch of junk food and candy makes me happy in ways you wouldn't understand ajxhisnxnx

(i'm making myself crave gummy worms)