Chapter 11 -- The Game

Caroline was getting her cheerleaders ready and looked over to see Elena and Stefan together. While paying attention to the two she heard what they were saying.

"Ooh. Look at you. You look hot in your jersey." Elena complimented him with a smirk.
"What happened? No more cheerleader?" The boy asked confused by seeing his girlfriend out of uniform.
"I quit. I'm a quitter." Elena sighed defeatedly.
"No, hey, you're not a quitter. You suffered a great loss. You're not the same person. You should be looking ahead. You should be starting over. Ok? I hope you don't think this is too soon or too weird, but...I, uh, I wanted you to have this." He started off encouraging her and then opened up a box showing her a necklace. Interested Elena took it out of the box.

"Oh, my God, it's beautiful." Elena looked at it in awe.
"It's something that I've had forever, and, uh, I've never wanted to give it to anyone until now. I'd very much like it if you'd wear it for me, for...good luck." He asked her bashfully, happy that she likes the gift.
"Is that rose that I smell?" She asked him curiosly.
"No, it's, uh...it's a herb. It's nice, huh?" He corrected hoping she still liked it.
"I love it." Elena told him happily. She gave the necklace to him so he could help her out it on. He clasped it in place behind her neck and she smiled at him brightly.

"And, uh, I wanted to thank you for pushing me to try out for the team. It feels really good." He thanked Elena appreciatively.
"We're a pair. I quit, you start." Elena replied charmed.
"Right. We're a work in progress. We'll figure it out." Stefan said amused, reassuring his girlfriend. Elena kissed his cheek and Stefan went to join the team on the field.

"And you're not in uniform because..." Caroline started for Elena unimpressed and waiting for an explanation for why she was letting the team down.

By now the sky had gotten darker and you could see the moon shine through a fine layer of grey clouds. People were cheering for the high school football team. They hadn't won in a while but the town was still proud of their boys in shin and shoulder pads.

"Wait, wait, wait, Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait." Tanner repeated getting the player's and crowd's attention for a pep talk, "Wait. Let's be honest here. In the past, we used to let other teams come into our town and roll right over us!"-The crowd booed in response, full of energy-"But that is about to change."-They then cheered loudly in expectation-"We've got some great new talent tonight starting on the offense, and I'm gonna tell you right now, it has been a long time since I have seen a kid like this with hands like these. Let's give it up for Stefan Salvatore!" Tanner announced and the small town crowd went wild.

"This blows. He can't start the guy. He just got here." Tyler complained, annoyed that Stefan was getting all the attention when he had only just started.

"Those that have been waiting for us to put a check in the win column, I have only one thing to say to you...Your Timberwolves are hungry!" Tanner was riling the crowd up.

While Tanner was working the crowd Tyler walked over to Vicki to talk to her.
"Hey, babe. What's wrong?" The girl asked him concered.
"Nothing." He replied off handedly making her more worried.

"And the Central High Lions are what's for dinner!" Tanner finished making the crowd go wild in anticipation for the game.

A random guy from Central High walked up and spoke to them.
"Hey Lockwood who's the sorry bitch next to you? She's hot." He said laughing with his friends behind him.
"What did you say Thompson?" Tyler asked him annoyed that he just disrespected Vicki like that.
"Tyler just leave it he's just trying to rile you up." Vicki said calming him down slightly.

"I can't just let him talk to you like that." Tyler tried to reason with her. She just shook his head not taking it and Tyler gave up went to follow her.

"Oh you gonna listen to your litlle druggie whore then Lockwood." The dude said and Tyler snapped. He went for Thompson only to be held back by a struggling Stefan. Vicki tried to calm him down but it didn't work. Caroline realised what was happening and quickly ran over.

"Tyler Lockwood calm down now." Caroline said sternly and Tyler imediately stopped, suprising everyone he whipped his head round to look guiltily at Caroline.
"Care I-"
"Nope save it." Caroline interrupted.
"What did he say to make you angry?" She questioned calmly. Tyler balled his fists as Stefan let him go.
"He called Vicki a sorry bitch and a druggie whore." Tyler mumbled angrily to her. Caroline's reaction was just an eyebrow raise.

She slowly walked upto the other guy.
"Chad Thompson right?" Caroline asked him unimpressed but he didn't take the hint.
"So you've heard of me?" He questioned her with a smirk.
"Yeah you're a misogynistic prick who can never get a girl to finish but I digress." She suddenly punched him hard in the jaw shocking everyone around them. She crouched next to him and continued.

"You speak to my friends like that again and you'll get worse than a punch to the face." One thing everyone should know about Caroline Forbes is that she's a loyal and protective friend. She grabbed Tyler and Vicki's hands and dragged them away from the Central High asshole.

It was finally time for the game and the girls weren't messing with Caroline even though she was visibly happy and bubbly.

"Hey, Tiki, it's all wobbly. Can you stand straight, please? Could someone please help Tiki?" Caroline instructed kindly asking for some support for the girl.
"Hey! Where you been?" Bonnie interrogated Elena when she finally showed up.

"Can I ask you a question and you give me a really serious no-joke response?" Elena asked Bonnie unsure.
"Of course. What is it?" Bonnie replied worried for her friend.
"The bad mojo. When you touched Stefan and you had that reaction..." Elena trailed off at the end and looked at her friend.
"You know what, forget I said that. Your little dinner party plot totally won me over." Bonnie said with a convincing smile.

"No, Bonnie, seriously. What was it? Did you see something, Or..." Elena didn't know what to ask so she stopped again hoping for Bonnie's input.
"It wasn't clear like a picture. Like today, I keep seeing those same numbers I told you about...8, 14, 22." Bonnie explained.

"Yeah?"
"When I touched Stefan, it was a feeling. And it vibrated through me, and it was cold, and it..." Bonnie continued biting her lip anxiously.
"And what?"
"It was death. It's what I imagine death to be like." Bonnie finished with sad eyes.

A little later the game should have stared but they couldn't find Tanner anywhere. Suddenly they heard a shout.
"Somebody help!" It was Matt Donovan. People rushed to where he was and gasped when the saw Tanner dead and bleeding out on the ground.

The police were called and they couldn't even start the game. This disappointed everyone but they all felt bad for the students who saw the dead body of their teacher.

The police finally arrived at the scene and Bonnie was looking around. She looked at the parking code "BLDG 8", the registration of the car was "FHT 14" and on the ground, the number was 22. Bonnie was scared.

Bonnie looked to Caroline and saw her talking to the girls.
"Don't get changed just grab your stuff and head home. I want to all to text me when you get in so I know you're safe. Okay?" Caroline instructed them. They all responded in sync saying yes Caroline and headed home.

Caroline saw Bonnie and walked over to give her a hug.
"You okay hun?" Caroline asked her best friend.
"I'm just a bit shaken up about it." Bonnie replied.
Caroline was worried for her and sent Bonnie home making sure she would text her like the other girls when she got home.

Since the Animal attacks were big deal the sheriff was there meaning Caroline's mum was there. She spotted Liz and walked over to her.
"Hey mum." Caroline greeted her giving the older woman a hug.
"Hey flower how are you?" Liz said hugging her daughter back.
"I'm good. I'm just heading home. Are you coming home late or are you staying at the precinct?" Caroline questioned her curiously.
"Staying at work tonight. Make sure you get home and rest Caroline it's been a tough day." She answered caringly tucking Caroline's hair behind her ear.
"Okay ill text you when I get home. See ya later mum." Caroline left with a smile and her mum waved her off.

Ten minutes later she arrived home. She got all the texts through from the girls and Bonnie. Then she texted her mum to say she was home safe. Caroline decided it was a good idea to text Jeremy and he quickly confirmed to her that he was home safe.

She got ready for bed, chatted over the phone with Enzo and finally went to sleep.