The board has been okay with the latest changes we'd made in the company, like adding an online marketing strategy. But everyone in that room knew the ideas were only approved because it was Chris that presented them. The company and the board members were old-fashioned. They never really supported a woman leading the company because according to their views, a woman should be at home, raising children. I hated that that was the way they looked at women. But I knew they didn't know any better. That's how things work in their circle. Their daughters married the sons of their rich friends. It's a never-ending circle. I never believed that they contempt women, though. I've seen the love and respect they have for their wives and daughters.

Normally, I would fight them on their principles, but this time I didn't. Because fighting never solved any problems. So, if it helps our chances of saving the company when the plan we made as a team is presented by Chris, I'm not going to bother. I'm setting my priorities, I'm choosing my battles.

If only I'd done that earlier. If I'd set my priorities straight the minute I realized I had feelings for Julian, I'd never have lost him.

It was nearly lunchtime when Allison walked in. "Does your father have any reason to be meeting with handsome men around the age of thirty? I just saw him walk into his office with a nice enough-looking man."

Chris and I shared a look. We gave my dad a task to look back at the numbers of the last years. He was supposed to look for any money going out that we could budget. There's no need for an extra pair of eyes to do so.

Chris shook his head. "I've no idea. But I wouldn't trust it if I were you. It's not like he's been fully supportive of our plan. After the last stunt he pulled, you know what he's capable of. He doesn't care about people's feelings, especially not ours." I knew he was right, and I didn't like it. "You should go, figure this out. I'll keep going."

With confident strides, I marched towards my father's office, nearly running into an employee balancing a cup of coffee and a stack of papers on his arm. I didn't miss the sentiment of the situation, but my mind was too occupied to actively think about Julian at this moment. I felt a ball of nerves in the pit of my stomach. I may not have known what was going on behind the closed office door, but I knew, in my gut, that this was going to result in another fight with my father.

I didn't bother to knock on the door and just swung the door open and stepped into the office. The look on my father's face told me all I needed to know, all he would never have the guts to tell me to my face.

Across from my father sat the man I saw in his office at home. The man I now know as Hugh Smith, CEO of the Smith hotel chain, one of our biggest competitors. Allison and I looked him up online after some help from my mom. I should have known my father could be up to this. But the little girl inside me hoped for change. She hoped for her father's approval, and for a moment it was almost like she'd got it. Like I finally had that kind of approval.

"Lucienne, this is a private meeting. You've got no right to just step in."

"A private meeting? About what dad? Because the only things that you two could have to talk about, both concern me. I'm the one you're trying to marry off here. I'm the one that is now in charge of this company, so you have no business of talking about a possible merger. So what is this all about?"

Hugh looked at me, a smug smile on his face. "Don't be so harsh on your old man. I believe we'd make a great couple. I mean, look at us. We're gorgeous."

Could this man get his head out of his ass? It was very obvious this was never going to happen.

"I'm not going to marry anyone just because you tell me to. I'm not giving up on this company either. I'm going to prove my worth to everyone who wants to see it. And I can't do that with you here. But sure, feel free to organize a wedding and make a big fool out of yourselves. Because I will never walk down that aisle for your sake. So, it'll all be pointless."

Hugh looked at me with his mouth agape. For a man that ran his own company, he looked quite dumb. My father, on the other hand, looked furious. I turned around and saw the office door still open and several people looking in with shocked expressions. They must have heard my rant. My father rushed past me and was about to shut the door.

Strangely, the public setting made me more secure. With this newfound confidence, I stood a little taller and stepped in front of the door, blocking my father's way.

"What's wrong? I don't believe we're discussing anything that should be a secret for the people that are working their asses to save this company from going down. They are all paying their dues. So, here's an idea. Instead of working on this ridiculous idea of marrying me off to merge this company with one of our competitors, stick your neck out and help around to save these people's jobs." To emphasize my statement, I gestured towards the still growing group of employees in the hallway. "People's jobs that are at stake because of your poor judgment in the first place."

Without another word, I turned on my heels and walked away. There was nothing more I could say and my time was too valuable these days. Behind me, the group of employees bursts out in applause which put a smile on my face. I walked back to my office, ready to report all that happened to Chris, but he stood there, applauding me with a bright smile on his face. "I'm proud of you, little Duck." He stepped forward and pulled me in a hug. "It was about time you told him off."

I looked up at Chris. That warm, loving, and caring look in his eyes was exactly the look I wanted to see from my father. It took me to this moment to realize that all I've ever wanted was to receive this look from my partner. I wanted Julian. But I also know that I couldn't just run back in his arms. I needed to take care of myself first. I needed to be sure that the next time we get back together if we even get to that point, we won't break up again because we rushed back into it. I needed to set my priorities to go and I needed to choose my battles.

"I'm proud of myself too." I stepped away from Chris's hug. "Now I'm still filled up with adrenaline and feel confident enough, I think we should talk."

"Okay, what do you want to talk about?"

"I want you to have the position of CEO. It was always meant to be yours. I don't want to put in all the hours as I learned that my priorities are somewhere else. I'll still help you out where I can. Especially when you're still recovering, of course. But this job was never supposed to be mine. I've never even wanted it. So, if you'll have me, I want to lead our marketing department. You know it needs an upgrade if we want to make this company successful again. But please, take what's meant to be yours."

Chris was at loss for words, but I could see all he wanted to say in his eyes. Hit look showed me all I wanted to know. He supported me, he understood me and he knew my reasons.

"Good for you, Lucy. Finally making decisions you actually stand by. I know I already said it, but I am really proud of you."