3

The next morning, Diane arose to the sound of a car door slamming shut, and she knew it was time. Her chest tightened, and a knot grew in the pit of her stomach, knotting over and over. 

She sat up in bed and swung her feet over the edge of the bed, planting her bare feet on the laminate flooring. Stretching, she stood and made her way to the door. When she flung it open, Diane prepared to wake Persia, but she paused upon seeing her seated at the kitchen table. 

She was dressed to the nines in a black pantsuit that accentuated her small curves. Her tight ringlets of hair were swept into a sleek ponytail, and her sandy skin gleamed with a few swipes of highlighter. 

However, dark circles ringed around her eyes. Did she sleep last night?

"Good morning, Mother," she greeted Diane like a robot, staring straight ahead. She couldn't even blame her daughter because she had a right to be so distant. Right as her lips parted, the doorbell rang. 

"That must be my husband, huh?" Persia said monotonously. Her eyes were stormy and far away like she was preparing to accept her fate. Diane breathed out slow, shaking her head as she stared at her daughter. She extended her hand, but let it fall to her side. She had no right to even look at Persia anymore. 

She knew that Persia would be better off with Heath's money, and Diane didn't want to see Persia end up like her... or herself ending up like her parents. This was for the best, she tried to convince herself. She may not understand it now, but when she's a parent, she will.

"Please answer the door," she said in the most indifferent voice she could conjure up. "I have to go freshen up." She darted back into her room and quickly dressed in a black dress, mimicking Persia. After all, this felt more like a funeral than a wedding. The death of their relationship and Diane's heart.

Persia did as she was told, and Diane slipped into the bathroom after seeing Heath walk in. She listened to their conversation while brushing her teeth. Persia was mum, and she could only imagine what her daughter was feeling.

'You look beautiful,' Heath started with. 

Persia murmured a 'thank you.' 

'I brought you a wedding dress.'

'I'm wearing this,' Persia snapped, and no further comment was made until Diane stepped out. She nearly retreated back into the bathroom once she saw who was seated next to Heath. On his right side, Jeff stared at his daughter, scrutinizing her from afar. 

"Diane, pleasure to have you join us," Jeff said in his usual, suave voice, moving across the room to greet her. Persia didn't know that Jeff was her father. Diane had told her that her dad died before she was born to avoid having to explain to her how awful Jeff was. 

"We both know there's no pleasure on my behalf," she whispered, peering at Persia. Heath was trying to make small talk with her, but she paid him no mind. If only she knew that her despicable father was the one who arranged her marriage... 

"I think you're going to want to try and pretend you like me, at least for today," Jeff said with a smile gracing his lips. Diane scowled and made her way over to the living room. 

"Are we set?" Heath asked, glancing up at her. She titled her chin up and closed her eyes before nodding once, stifling her tears back. Persia's face hardened, and she got up from the couch. 

"Then let's go. The officiant is outside."

Even worse. Persia didn't even have the chance to have an actual marriage. She had a feeling that the girl wouldn't continue living with her mother, even if she had the chance. Persia seemed to have already emotionally cut ties to Diane. 

Heath's statement was the law. More than an officiant, there was a long, red-carpet-style strip of fabric that led down to a makeshift altar a few feet away. Persia's eyes flew open, and her lips parted as the beginning glistens of tears marked her face. 

Instead of waiting at the end of the altar, Heath walked down with her. He went first and repeated after the officiant. Persia's words were a murmur on her lips. After they exchanged vows, they both signed their name in the register. It was official. Persia was married. 

The ceremony was over as soon as it started... but instead of returning to Diane, Jeff grabbed Persia and dragged her to the expensive, sleek limo. 

"What are you doing?" Diane demanded, staring on in shock while Persia fought against his grasp. 

"I knew you wouldn't approve... so I lied to you. Persia's going to be living with Heath," he said with a grunt, struggling to keep control of Persia's flailing body. 

"Mom!" Persia cried, and Diane's heart pounded in her chest. She got up and sprinted toward Persia, who had glassy eyes from unshed tears. 

"Persia!" she shouted, breathing hard as she kicked off her shoes and sprinted to the car. She managed to grasp Persia's fingers, but the girl was yanked away from Diane's grasp. The girl yelped as Jeff pushed her into the car. Indescribable rage filled Diane, and her hands balled into fists. By now, Heath had slipped into the other side of the limo, and everything was still. 

"Where are you taking my baby?!" Diane cried out, a choked sob escaping her as she beat her fists on Jeff's chest. He stared at her in disgust. Persia was everything to her. If Diane didn't have Persia, she would die. 

"You can't do this," she cried out, tears staining her cheeks. She could only see a glimpse of Persia banging on the glass window, and it broke her. With a burst of desperation, she wrestled to get between Jeff and the door, but he shoved her, and she tumbled to the ground.

Diane lifted her head to meet Jeff's eyes, her voice low when she growled, "You promised."

Jeff harked. "I promise nothing. You of all people should know that," he said, opening the door and sliding inside. 

"No, no, no, Persia!" she bawled, watching as the car roared to life. She heard muffles of Persia's yelling through the door, and the last glimpse of her daughter she caught was the girl calling her name. 

Her eyes ran with water, and her nose dripped with snot. "Please," she whispered, watching the car drive away. 

Diane shook her head. She had made the biggest mistake of her life. Her daughter was gone, which meant that she was too. She sold her soul to the devil... and she wasn't getting it back.