02; reunion

It was about a week after I talked to Ashton, which meant that it was about four weeks since we had sex. And after a dozen more positive pregnancy tests, I was still doubtful, so I went to have an actual test.

"How do you know it was him?" Allison, my roommate and only real friend, spoke through the phone.

"Because I've only had sex once in the past month and it was with him." I groaned, sitting in my car and looking back at the small clinic that I was just in.

"But what if it's from a guy that you had sex with.. two months ago?" Allison asked, making me snap out of my flashback from a few minutes before.

"Sperm dies after five days, dumbass." I rolled my eyes.

"How the hell do you know that?" she questioned, sounding like she just heard something she never heard before.

"How am I pregnant before you?" I yelled into the phone and hung up, way too frustrated to deal with Allison. She was smart, but her knowledge was limited to language arts. I gripped tightly onto my steering wheel and squeezed my eyes shut.

Being pregnant was my worst nightmare.. right next to a zombie apocalypse. Hey, Lily, just be glad you're not pregnant in a zombie apocalypse.

My phone began to ring and I let out an angry sound. "Allison, come on!" I said to myself, but when I picked my phone up and saw who was calling, it wasn't her. It was my mom. Speaking of worst nightmares... I slid my finger across the screen and cringed as I raised my phone to my ear.

"Yes, mo-"

"Lily! You better not have forgotten about the reunion tonight!" she yelled, causing me to pull my phone back.

"I didn't! My god..." I lied. I totally forgot, but in my defense, it was a pretty easy thing to forget. We had these 'family reunions' every two months and they were always extremely boring. The only upside was that my aunts and uncles would bring great food. Because of an awful hangover, I missed the one before, and my mom was not letting me live it down.

"You know I don't like it when you use the Lord's name like that!" She angrily said, and I could just imagine her wagging a finger at me. "I'll see you tonight, okay? This better not be like last time!"

"Ugh, yes, I'll see you there." I sighed, hanging up on her and finally turning my car on so that I could get as far away from the awkwardly nosy nurses as possible.

*

So, five hours after my appointment to see if I was really pregnant, I was sitting in my grandma's house, surrounded by crosses and family members who carried bibles wherever they went. And Allison. I practically dragged her to come with me.. turns out the pregnant excuse actually does work.

I wasn't judging them. I mean, sure, they had a different view, but we are all just looking for ways to get through life the easiest. It just so happens that my way was very.. not church-like. But I wasn't about to walk into our family reunion wearing things that said "HAIL SATAN!" or "666".

I was sitting on the couch, eating some tortilla chips that sat on the coffee table and listened as one of my uncles tried to make a toast. Allison seemed to be completely mesmerized since she hadn't come from a very religious family.

"We are all so lucky and blessed to have such an amazing family." he said, which was followed by many claps. "And we a-" he began, but paused when his eyes landed on me. "Lily decided to make it this time! I feel like we haven't seen you in ages! Where have you been?!" He cheerily spoke.

I felt everyone's eyes suddenly land on me and everything went quiet.

"I've, uh, well, I-uh, have been.." I stuttered, my voice giving up on me as my heart started beating faster. I felt like everyone was glaring and could see right through me. So I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"I'm pregnant."