Chapter 20

***ELIAS WOLFE'S POV***

It's now December 2nd. Exactly one month since Mia and her roommate walked out of the warehouse. I haven't seen her in a whole month. Not even in class. I got sent an email by the Dean that Mia will not be attending class due to family issues and that she'll be back soon.

Bullshit.

She's avoiding me.

Her words flow through my mind as I'm thinking about her right now.

"You're in the Mafia."

She didn't sound scared or nervous. Almost curious and intrigued with a slight shake in her voice. So, why did she run away? She just took Stefano's car keys and left with Kate.

I wanted to explain the whole Antonia situation. I wanted to explain everything, but she just left. I made Stefano keep me posted on her since he's seen her a couple times through out the month because of her roommate. 'She's doing good' is what he would tell me every time.

Two weeks ago I got the email that she made one of the slots to go to New York for the business function. In fact, she was the only one since the other two were caught plagiarizing their work. The board didn't want to take any risks so they decided to just have Mia be the sole winner. I wanted to congratulate her. I wanted to touch her. I knew that she also got the email telling her that she won. I don't know if she ever responded to it. I hope she did. I want to see her.

It's Tuesday and I'm sitting at my desk waiting for my students to arrive. I stopped looking at the door to see if Mia would show up. I know she wouldn't. I'm typing on my laptop when I start hearing footsteps and chatter entering the room. I sigh and try to focus and get ready to start the class. Then it hits me. The smell of roses and honeysuckle. The smell of Mia.

I shoot my head up and I see her walking to her desk. I have to hold back my smile when I see her beautiful face. But, she doesn't look at me. She keeps her head down. I see Dean trying to talk to her, but she glares at him and I hear her tell him to move. Which he does. She goes to rub her wrist. The wrist where she had a bruise there a month ago.

She looks up and she catches me staring. She doesn't break eye contact. Her face is blank. I can't read her. It's like she's not feeling anything at all. I don't like it. I'm use to reading her. Why can't I read her now? I have to talk to her. After class. That's when I'll do it.

I stand up and move to the front of my desk and start speaking.

This class is going to feel like hours.

Once class came to an end and everyone started to leave. I called Mia's name and said that I needed to speak to her about New York.

When she's finally at my desk and everyone leaves I take a deep breath and speak.

"You just left." I sigh and look up to her. "You just fucking left, Mia."

She starts moving from one foot to the other nervously. "I didn't know what else to say. But, if you're scared that I told anyone I can assure you that I didn't. That wouldn't be smart on my end considering that I'd probably get kidnapped and killed." She scoffs and looks down to her feet.

I stand up from my chair and walk up to her. She sucks in a breath and stands completely still as I stop right in front of her. I oh so slowly bring my hand up to her cheek and rub my knuckles along her cheekbones and she closes her eyes and leans into my hand.

"Are you scared of me?"

"No." She breathes out instantly opening her eyes.

Her eyes found mine and they sparkled. As I'm moving in, she's backing away from my touch. I frown at her.