Chapter 10 -- A Misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

"Are we done trying to figure out who the Alpha male is so we can get back to lesson or are we going to continue this pointless back and forth?" Caroline asked looking at both Tanner and Stefan as she spoke. They both looked down feeling kind of bad for wasting time and Tanner went back to the lesson.

"Oh, my God! You're here!" Bonnie exclaimed happy to see Elena joining in.
"Yep. I can't be sad girl forever. The only way to get things back to the way they were are to do things that were. Oh, and you're coming to dinner tonight." Elena informed Bonnie forcefully.
"I am?" Bonnie was confused by the sudden invite not knowing why Elena just decided this.
"Mm-hmm. You, me and Stefan. You have to give him a chance." As soon as those words exited Elena's mouth Bonnie's face dropped and she tried to get out of it. Even though she knew that Stefan wouldn't haur them she was still weary of him.
"Tonight's no good. Have you seen Caroline? I texted her like a hundred times."
"Don't change the subject, Bonnie Bennett! You're going to be there." Elena wouldn't have it. She wanted Bonnie and Stefan to get along.
"Fine. I'll go." Bonnie sighed defeated.
"Good." Elena nodded smiling in victory.

Meanwhile Stefan spoke to Mr. Tanner about joining the football team.

"Varsity trials were last spring, Mr. Salvatore." Tannr told Stefan, the man obviously did not like the boy.
"I wasn't here then, sir." Stefan replied logically.
"And you're not here now, as far as I'm concerned." Tanner replied grumpily.

"Mr. Tanner, I realize that you and I didn't get off to the best start, and I want to apologize for that. I've played football before. Wide receiver, mostly, and I'm pretty good." Stefan explained pretty convincingly.
"Well, I won't be asking you who won the super bowl in '71." Tanner said loosening up to the idea of letting Stefan tryout.
"'71 was the...Sorry. I...I understand that, sir." Stefan stopped his impulse to answer so he wouldn't ruin his chances.
"Just to see you get knocked on your ass. Borrow some gear. Go! Before I change my mind. Let's run it again!" Still not fully liking the idea Tanner still let Stefan tryout.

"First my girlfriend, now my team?" Matt complained about Stefan to his best friend.
"I still think you should give up but think about it dude, this is an opportunity. Football's a contact sport. Sometimes people get hurt." Tyler advised while laughing at his friend.

Over at the cheerleader's practice Caroline still hadn't shown up yet.
"Seriously, where is Caroline?" Bonnie asked in concern.
"I don't know. It's not like her." Elena replied confused.
"I'll try her again."
Caroline finally arrived walking out of the school building. She she runs up to the girls.

"Uh..." Elena starts expecting an answer from Caroline.
"Sorry I'm late, girls! My period started early..." Stated Caroline confidently stating the reason for her absence.
"All right, let's start with the double pike herkey hurdler, what do you say? And 5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8." When she saw Elena didn't know what she was doing she sighed.
"Elena, sweetie, why don't you just observe today? Ok? Keep going! Ok. Do it again from the top. And 5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8."
While they were practicing Caroline saw Damon Salvatore creepily watching their practice and she grimaced.
'What a creep.' She thought while training the other girls.

Later on when the school day is over Bonnie dragged Caroline to Elena's house with her because she didn't want to be there without back up.
"Hey Bonnie. Oh Caroline I wasn't expecting you here. Come on it girls." Jenna said after she opened the door.
"You going to go study in school today Jenna." Caroline asked attentively.
"Yeah I am Caroline. I'll see you girls later okay."
"Bye Aunt Jenna." Both Bonnie and Caroline said as the older woman left.
"I'll start cooking. So you and Elena can talk." Caroline told Bonnie and went into the kitech area.