Chapter 38

"Does Andrea know you go around calling other women pretty?"
Both men freeze.

"What did you say?"

"Does your wife know you call other women pretty? Or am I an exception? If so, I really am flattered, especially since I'm not exactly at my best."
I love my life.

"Finish her." He commands the old man.

"Does she know you stopped keeping track of her sister?" They freeze again.
"I wonder how many diamond necklaces you'd have to buy for that blunder."

I know I must have their attention.
Small details really help spook people. Makes them think you know everything about their lives.

"How would she feel knowing that you already laundered the money from Sophia's sale?"
"You're lying!"

"Am I?"
I couldn't believe it either when Savat told me. Delicious irony.

Andrea's sister was adopted by a nice family in America when she was still a baby. Andrea being twelve was forced into the foster system and had a rough life till she met and fell in love with the head of the Spanish mafia. She still kept tabs on little Sophia, though.

About two months ago, Sophia's parents died in a horrific car crash and none of their relatives wanted her. Poor baby ended up disappearing with the help of the new players on the scene.

She was sold at an auction just this week.

"Don't kill her yet."
I smirk back at Ramirez.

Not yet, asshole.

The two men leave the dungeon and I am finally alone.
At least, I hope I am alone.
I begin looking around, searching for any cameras or anything else I might have missed.

No cameras, but I still feel as though I am being watched.

Then I remember, "You have got to be kidding me." I sigh.
He steps out of the shadows and I have a thousand questions.

He takes a deep breath that I hope is calming.
"Helena, or is it Karen?"
"From you? Helena. Unless I decide to tell you the name my mother gave me."

"Now I need to know."
And for some reason, I find myself smiling.

"Come on now, I've grown quite fond of Helena. Especially from you."

"Are you trying to flatter me?"

"No, I'm trying to seduce you."
I thought it was obvious.

When he smiles at me, I cannot help my grin.
Have I mentioned how absolutely breathtaking his smile is?

"As much as I would love to watch how you plan on escaping, duty calls."

My chest feels funny.

"Too bad, you're going to be missing quite the show."
I have gotten quite good at talking myself out of dangerous situations.

"Your punishment will be waiting for you."

What?

"Punishment?" For what?

"I warned you not to hide from me."
And with that, he is gone.

My mind is blank.
Please tell me he means a sexy punishment and not anything else.

Mierda. The longer I'm here, the more time he has to plan or/and execute whatever sick plan he has.

Also, they could kill me.

Ramirez especially seems quite eager to be done with me.

So, yes, I need to leave. Asap.

But rushing leads to mistakes so I need to think this through.

¤¤¤¤

When next the door opens, Andrea Marsans herself comes in followed by her husband and two guards.

"Where is she?" I don't like her tone.
"How am I supposed to know?"

"Don't get smart with me. Where the fuck is my sister?!" Definitely has an attitude problem.

"She looked really pretty in her pictures." I look back at Javier, "Must've made the Swiss a killing."

"Shut up!!" She is furious, the vein in her forehead is about to pop. She really is quite pretty. Stunning dark blue eyes, mahogany brown hair, alabaster skin and a heartshaped face. She looks like the slightly older dark haired version of Sophia.

"See now, I was going to offer to get her back for you, but I don't like your attitude."

"You have her?"
"Nope."

"You know where she is?"
"Nope."

"Then you're no help. We can find her ourselves." Javier spits at me.

"I'm sure you can. Eventually. But God knows what will happen to her by then. I mean, she is at the mercy of someone who bought her at a slave bazaar. I can have her back to you in seven days."
Big risk, big reward.

"What do you want in return?" Ramirez is the one to ask.
Clever man.

"You agree that the Marsans cut all ties with the Morellis, from this day hence."

"This is all about the Morellis?"

"Susanna and I have unfinished business."

"You took my sister to blackmail us against the Italians?"
"Oh, fuck no. Kidnapping someone and working with human traffickers goes against everything I believe in. I just saw an opportunity for us to help each other."

"Who did you say you were?" Javier asks suspiciously.

"No one."

¤¤¤¤¤¤

They leave me alone to deliberate on my offer.

I take this time to slip out of my handcuffs.
Dislocating your thumbs hurts, I really should learn how to pick a handcuff lock.
Taking off my bra, I remove the special wire and use it to pick the lock of the cell door.

I have to thank Ita for this idea. It is genius.
And very effective against old locks like this one.

Seriously, they make millions a year, they could at least modernise their dungeons.

Hades left the main door unlocked but there is a guard I have to take out.
How the hell did he get past him?

He is not a great fighter once I have disarmed him, but neither am I. I take a ton of hits before I knock him out.

Dios, I hate fighting.

My entire body is sore and my breathing is laboured, but at least I acquired a gun.

Sneaking through the passages, I follow the loud shouting until I am outside the door of the room they are in.

"It makes sense. But that doesn't mean I trust her."
That is definitely Javier's voice, "We can kill her once this is all over and done with." Ramirez points out.

I can't say I'm surprised.

"Or, she can be an asset." I am surprised at Andrea's suggestion.
"If she's that good, wouldn't it be better have her as a friend?" Smart girl.

"Friendship requires trust." Her husband replies, "And trust is earned."

"If she is as good as she claims, she deserves the chance to earn our trust."

"Ramirez?"
"I'll keep an eye on her." He sounds extremely displeased.

"So we agree?" Her voice sounds hopeful.
"Fine, let's go release her."

"That won't be necessary." I open the door.

To say they are shocked would be an understatement. I bet they didn't realise I speak Spanish.

They didn't really think a dungeon from the 1800's would keep me down, did they?

Amateurs.

"All I need is a car."