"Daddy's gotta go to work" (Avengers 2012)

Start from the beginning

"It's called loss, Shadow," John replied simply.

"Yeah...well...I don't like it," Shadow and John both release a breath of exhaustion.

"I know..." John's response is short.

"So, what now?" Shadows finally asks.

John shrugs, finally finding an opportunity to implement his plan, "Nothing...Loki and the Tesseract are gone, there's nothing we can do--"

"Bullshit!" Shadow snaps his gaze to John, whom is looking forward, "Loki is still out there! He made this personal! And now you're just gonna--what--give up?!"

"What are we supposed to do then?" John turns to Shadow with a calm face.

"What we were trained to," Shadow steels his resolve, "Why do you think we were dragged here in the first place?! Because we're chivalrous like Captain America? Because we're billionaires like Stark? Smart like Banner? Or loyal like Widow?"

John still says nothing as Shadow continues to vent.

"No!" Shadow turns his head, fuming, "We were brought here because we're what they're not...assassins. Not soldiers. Not heroes. And not spies...we're hunters."

John finally places a hand on Shadow's shoulder and the assassins share a look, "...Then let's go hunting."

"Wait, what?" Shadow asks as John gets up and begins to walk away. The former assassin is perplexed now, "Just like that?"

John finally stops and turns to smirk at Shadow, "Just like that....For Phil."

Shadow swallows a bile of emotions in his throat, "Hey Ghost?" John, whom was about to leave, stops once more and looks back to Shadow, "...I've got your back."

"I know," John leaves it at that as he goes to make another stop, implementing Step 2 of his plan.

He calls Steve as he makes his way over to the Helicarrier's main control center.

...

Nick Fury was currently standing in his office with a glass of Scotch in his hands as he overlooks the Helicarrier's agents whom are all in a state of work.

There was a far away look on the Director's face as he hears the doors of his office open and close.

He takes a deep breath, noticing John's reflection from the glass he was looking through, "...You here to kill me, John?"

"The thought has crossed my mind," John says as he walks over to the mini-bar in Nick's office and pours himself a glass as well.

Fury releases a breath of amusement, "You'd be doing me a favor."

"Exactly," John says as he stands next to Nick, "Death is just too easy."

"Ah-Ha-Ha-Ha," Nick laughs sarcastically, "Tell me about it."

John smirks slightly.

A beat passes and the two men remain standing in their spots, drinks in hand and eyes in front.

"So, why have you come, John?" Fury asks, "Not that I don't enjoy your company of course."

John chuckles as he swirls the glass in his hands, "I'm glad you asked..." Fury glances at the former assassin now, "...I've come to make a deal..."

Nick shakes his head and chuckles, "God knows I've had my fill of those."

John chuckles now as well, "True, our last deal didn't exactly fall through well, did it?"