31. Day Thirty Five of Learning

Start from the beginning

The wedding is almost, almost a blur.

From the calm of the ceremony to the full-swing of the reception, there hasn't been a dull moment.

The moment Ray and Juliet were declared married, Ray let loose the bunch of balloons that were tethered to her hand.

Ray then popped open a bottle of champagne and completely doused herself and Julie in the foam, which provided a fantastic Segway for them to change into their less formal reception dresses.

There were so many pictures taken of everyone and my cheeks have been hurting all day.

While Juliet danced with her Dad, Ray danced with Elliot.

Once the song ended, Ray pulled her Mom on to the dance floor and danced with her.

Elliot gave a toast, which included lines like, "From the day she was born, I have been waiting for Jenna to leave and finally, that day has come", "I wish Juliet all the best of luck in her marriage. I've lived with Jenna for many years and I must say that her dishwashing skills are abysmal", "Dad would have been so proud of you – of both of you – I know he is", and "I've always wished for my sister to be happy and I know that Juliet makes her nothing short of ecstatic, so Julie, welcome to the family. The Kingsleys will love you more than they love Jenna".

Since I am a sucker for weddings, I cried – as discreetly as I could.

Aiden kept handing me tissues.

The wedding has been going on so long that the sun has set, kids are sleeping, my feet are aching, people are dancing and the wait staff is handing out finger food and replenishing the drinks.

I'm standing in a corner, shoveling cake into my mouth because the seating arrangement that Rosalie so meticulously prepared has long gone to hell.

Isa, who is giggling and definitely tipsy, sashays her way over to me, Marco following close behind, probably to make sure that she doesn't fall and break her nose.

"Al!" Isa says, grabbing me around the neck and pulling me towards her, "Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you."

I look over at the chair, three feet away, on which Isa was seated before she got up and walked over to me. "You were just there, babe."

Isa rests her head on my shoulder. "I'm tipsy, Al. That's three hundred miles away. Marcus had to point you out to me," she says, gesturing to Marco.

I laugh. "Are you tired?" I ask her.

"Good tired," she replies, "I'm so happy for them."

We look over at Jenna and Juliet, who are standing with Elliot and Ana, laughing.

"Me, too," I say, "I've never seen Ray so happy. I'm so glad that she got over herself and asked Juliet out."

"When are you going to get over yourself and ask me out, Al?" Isa asks, bopping me on the nose, blindly.

I look over at Marco and see him grinning. "I think that Marcus might not want that."

"Take her away," Marco says and Isa swats at him, but he ducks out of the way, "Anyway, I'm sure there are other people who will get over themselves and ask Al out."

I cock my head and look at him questioningly.

"Cake!" Isa says, looking at my half-empty plate.

"It is cake," I tell her, as she straightens, completely oblivious to anything Marco may have said.

"Marcus," she tells Marco, "I want cake, too."

"Then, cake you shall have, Isabella," he says, taking her hand, "Come on."