1. Minute One of Knowing

The elevator comes to a shuddering halt

My eyes immediately lift to the LED display that tells me that I'm trapped, fifteen floors up in the air. 

I look at the first button on the panel in front of me and the calculation is immediate; counting the two floors of basement parking and the Mezzanine floor, if this elevator were to plummet, the nice gentleman who held the door for me and I would fall eighteen stories to our probable doom, or at the very least to our very shaken selves.

My eyes fixate on the number fifteen.

Neither I, nor my elevator-mate have made a sound until this moment.

My only thought is whether I will make it to the conference hall in time. It's funny how you might only need to get on an elevator to get to where you need to go, but you will still end up being late.

It's also funny how, in the face of possible death, I'm still worried about being late.

Unconsciously, my index finger taps erratically against the waist-high metal bar, as moments pass without the number changing from fifteen.

I wonder if the elevator starts to fall, whether the numbers will change at the same speed, or if that only happens in the movies.

"Are you claustrophobic?"

His voice is deep and comforting.

I want to close my eyes and revel in the comfort to ease my nerves.

Instead, I angle my head in his direction.

He's leaning against the opposite wall of the elevator, his head turned towards me.

"No." I say.

I sound defensive.

He realizes that I sound defensive, because his concerned expression turns into a small smile.

"It's alright," he says, in the same quiet, deep, comforting tone. He knocks against the wall he's leaning on. "The walls are going to stay exactly where they are."