Epilogue

It was nearing midnight on a Friday night when I saw her.

I was heading home from work, mentally freaking out. I had left my dog in my apartment alone all day and knowing him, the kitchen trash would be torn to shreds. My work days had gotten longer since my promotion to assistant director, but the pay was better and helped with my oceans of student loans. My loans made tsunamis look small.

I was walking down an almost empty street, appreciating the the stillness that crept out of the city late at night. Besides my dog, my mind was thoughtless, enjoying whatever quietness the city could give me. I passed a crowded bar, midnight on a Friday in New York is like 8pm anywhere else. I loved how alive the city felt, how alive it made me feel. I know it's cheesy, but New York made me feel like I could do anything. It made me work harder to stay.

I thought about taking a taxi home, but I wasn't sure how my funds were looking. It was nearing the end of the month and I was pretty broke. I tried to check my bank account balance on my phone, but it was dead. Fate just kept working and working to get me on that damn subway. 

Yet I mistook it all for ill luck.

I even considered walking back to my apartment, but it was far and the fall air was starting to get its bite. Sighing, I trudged down the subway steps and waited for my train. Waiting at the platform, I wished my phone wasn't dead so I wouldn't have to make eye contact with randoms. If not for my phone, I wouldn't have seen her. I glanced across the tracks to the other platform.

And there she was.

Her hair was shorter, more mature. Yet it felt like just yesterday I saw her in a puffy coat and braids. I had to remind myself that was nine years ago.

My heart sped up at the sight of her.

There wasn't much time, the subway was rumbling towards us. I watched her adjust her wicker tote as she peered down the tunnel. I pretended to check my phone, marveling over how much prettier she had gotten.

We were going opposite directions. But what if this was my only chance to ever speak to her? The last time I did, I knew it was a good bye, but an even smaller piece deep in my chest somehow knew I would run into her again. What were the odds that I would run into her in New York City out of all places? Last I heard, she was president of some sorority in the south.

Her train rattled to a halt and the doors opened. I couldn't see her anymore, assuming she had left, I sighed and waited for mine to come. I blew my one chance with her, picked the girl that would break my heart over her. The train started up, blowing that familiar gust of wind, blowing my hair up above my forehead before taking off, taking away the girl I had spent years thinking about when my thoughts were quiet. 

Maybe I should've walked. I didn't deserve the subway. Turning towards the stairs, I stopped dead in my tracks.

There she was, still waiting, her eyes narrowing as if she didn't recognize me. A gust of wind blew her hair up, she tucked it behind her ear, and glanced across the subway tracks. As her eyes finally met mine, I knew she recognized me.

Kaia Choi.

I watched her face, her eyes widened, her mouth fell open slightly.

Dropping her dark black hair, she waved gently.

"Hey!" I called from across the tracks.

"Hi." She smiled.

"I missed my train." She called back.

I heard mine rattling toward me. It stopped abruptly, the doors hissed opened. I hesitated. Again I wondered, when would I see Kai again.

I watched the doors close and waited to see if she would be on the other side. When it rattled on, she was gone.