CHAPTER 20- LOYALTY

Start from the beginning

In a second, the witch changed back into the woman Maria had always seen her as. The smoke was back, hiding the witch's face, making Maria wish it would've been there when Cora had been in her true form.

 "This!" Cora finished, sounding pleased. Maria could sense the witch smile. She tried to think of what to say. 

"I hope you have not grown fond of the girl, have you?" The witch asked, cocking her head to the side, studying her. Cora's voice sounded back to normal, and Maria found herself glad.

This time, the witch seemed to be waiting for an answer. Slowly, Maria shook her head. "Good!" The witch said. "Because we have no place for feelings here." She continued. "Even if you do seem to forget your way, always remember your loyalty lies with your sister, which makes you loyal to me! Do you understand?" She asked in an appealing voice. Maria gave a small nod. "Then repeat what I just said."

Maria closed her eyes. "My loyalty lies with my sister and you!" She said, forcing the words out of her mouth.

The witch smiled again. "Good girl!" She began. "Now, I have a little task for you, and I hope you will not fail me this time."

"What task?" Maria asked.

"Oh, it is a simple task, really!" Replied the witch. She then reached into her coat and pulled out a black dagger.

Maria stared at it with horror. "What do I have to do with that?" She asked, not sure she could bear to hear the answer.

"I want you to stab Alice!" The witch replied gleefully. Looking at Maria's pale face, she added, "Remember dear, loyalty!"

Numbly, Maria took the dagger.

Alice felt as if she were flying. She could not contain her happiness. Not only was she a girl who could see things no one else could, but she was also someone who could help souls who were helpless, in need, or even desperate.

 For the first time in her life, Alice felt important and needed. She could not help but smile, as the others sitting on her bed, talked.

"Where did Maria disappear again?" Asked Charlie.

"She said she wanted to hear the latest gossip." Replied Alice, though she herself did not believe it.

As if reading her thoughts, Charlie said, "Her latest gossip was more important than what you just did?"

Alice shrugged. "Looks like it!"

"You seem pretty happy." Observed Knave, who was sitting opposite her, thanks to Charlie.

"Is it not something to be happy about?" Asked Mike.

"Exactly man! Our Alice is a ghost helper!" Said Charlie, beaming.

"That almost sounds like house helper." Knave pointed out.

"So what do you suppose I call her then, genius?" Snapped Charlie.

"Miss poker!" He replied. They all looked at him in confusion. "Since she has a habit of poking her nose everywhere, it seems fit." Knave explained.

Alice raised an eyebrow. "Helping people, or more specifically, helping ghosts is not called poking my nose." She pointed out. For some reason, she was not angry.

Knave ignored this. "So, what is your plan now?" He asked. "Help ghosts till your last breath, and meanwhile, I just sit here and watch because I am bound to you for who knows how many torturous years?"