The door to the room opens and Nicholas walks in, notes in hand. Joel sits up a little more, but the smile remains on his lips.

"Mr Watkins—"

"It's Joel," Joel cuts Nicholas off.

"Joel, the doctor has asked me to fill this in. I just need some details. Is your hand up to writing?" Nicholas asks. He passes Joel some form and a pen when he gets a nod in response.

"Nick, isn't it?" Joel asks. Nicholas nods. "Do you think the kitchen would make an ill man a Christmas dinner?"

"Joel, you know the answer is no!" I reply with a grin.

"I... I don't think they would," Nicholas says. He chuckles afterwards, and I notice the dimple in his cheek comes out. The sun beams through the window and onto him, reminding me of an angel.

They say that when you see someone you like, your pupils dilate because of oxytocin. When those jewel-like amber eyes meet mine from across the room, I swear I watch his dilate.

My own eyes, I know are probably pumped full of oxytocin right now as well.

'Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.'

I glance back at Joel. I shouldn't be feeling something for someone else when my husband is lying in a hospital bed.

Especially my husband's nurse.

"That's a shame. Aspen, looks like you'll be busy tonight!" Joel jokes.

I feign offence and shake my head. "You wish!"

Joel snorts and hands Nicholas back the pen. "Is this for that anti-seizure drug?"

Nicholas nods, and I watch his curls move as he does. "He just needs to know what type to prescribe, that's all. When he's done, I'll come in with the dosage and explain everything."

"Sounds like fun. So, no clubbing tonight?" Joel jokes.

Nicholas smirks. "Unfortunately, not, no. I mean, by all means, you can try, but most of the drugs will make you want to sleep instead. In fact, I might join you—"

"Get the doctor to come too, we can have a proper night of it. When I end up on the floor in a seizure, we'll all be good!" Joel carries on. Both of them laugh.

"You're an idiot," I mutter and fold my arms with a smile. I wonder how long it'll be before Joel's mood swing takes back over.

The fact remains that his disease has a fifty per cent chance of passing down to Gabriel. We need to discuss it, and I know Joel knows it too.

"Right, I'll go take these to the doctor. If you need anything, you know where the call button is," Nicholas says. He turns to me. "Make sure you're taking breaks as well."

"I keep telling her. But she sits here religiously," Joel says. I glance at him and his lips curve into a cheeky smile.

"I'm heading home later for a shower! Leave me alone!" I defend. "I might even pick you up a blooming pumpkin spice latte as you asked!"

"Mate, I have her whipped," Joel jokes.

I watch Nicholas chuckle at Joel's comment, and our eyes meet for a second.

"I'll see you both later," Nicholas says. He smiles at me and as he turns around to leave, I notice the room get darker as if an angel was cast out from heaven.

If I went after him, would Joel think anything? If I kissed him, what would Nicholas do? Would he kiss me back like I hope he would?

'And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.'