Running on rooftops

Chapter 38

"Miss, please let us watch." Nick said to Mrs Arley who rolled her eyes.

"This is a senior math class and you want me to put the news channel on the screen?" She said, annoyed.

"It's important." Nick said. George was growing nervous, and he nudged Nick.

"What is it? Is there a villain?" He asked. Nick dismissed the thought by waving his phone.

"No. It's about the Mayor. Miss, please." He said. Mrs Arley was admittedly curious now, so she sighed and nodded, going to set up the news on the projector.

"What... what about the Mayor?" Clay asked, leaning over the aisle to look at George and Nick.

"Something about the election." Nick said. Clay leaned back, looking at the screen while chewing on his lip.

Once the screen came up, and Mrs Arley turned on the volume, George narrowed his eyes. There was a man standing in front of the camera, with a slightly shorter man beside him. The guy had short brown hair and was wearing a simple button up. The guy beside him was even more casual, a brown hoodie.

"Yes, so as I was saying. I am calling for an election where I will be running against Mayor Block. I have reason to believe that he may not be fit currently, and I want to remove him from office." The man said.

"Why do you believe he is not fit?" The reporter asked, holding the microphone out. George realised quickly that his Dad was the reporter, and he sat up straighter in curiosity.

"Well, me and my team are currently in the process of gathering evidence, but we have reason to believe Mayor Block is corrupt, and he got his wealth through illegal means." He said.

The class all gasped and stared muttering and half of them turned to glance at Clay. The dirty blonde sunk down slightly in his seat, eyes remaining on the screen.

"I want to become Mayor because I think this city deserves a fair leader, who lets children get off the stage before himself." The man said, a small scoff, everyone looking at Clay again. "And I want to work closely with GNotFound and Dream."

"The superheroes. Why is that a focus?" Mark asked.

"Well, they are clearly two of the only people holding this city together. They are incredible and selfless and to me, it doesn't seem like the Mayor acknowledges that enough."

"What about the Medal of Valor ceremony?"

"Well, yes, he organised that. But it took a whole year to finally thank them formally? Those two young men are a fundamental part of this city and I want to help them in stopping all these villains. Mayor Block has not once said what he is doing to help, and I think the city deserves some transparency." The man said.

"Would you like to reintroduce yourself to those who have just tuned in?" Mark said. The man turned to the camera with a kind smile.

"I am Sam Warden. I am running for Mayor, because this city needs someone who is honest, selfless and open. I don't believe the current Mayor is fit for the job and I think he has his priorities in the wrong order. This is my running mate, Callahan." Sam said, gesturing to the guy with the hoodie, who waved. "With the help of everyone, including all civilians as well as heroes, we want to stop these attacks by working together and staying strong."

"Thank you for your time Mr Warden." Mark said.

"Please. Call me Sam." He responded, and Mrs Arley turned off the screen.

Immediately, the whole class jumped into conversation, all talking about Sam Warden, and the current Mayor. George could hear the words "corrupt" and "unfit" and "selfish" flicking around the room.