chapter 15 - eyes

Tonight was a full moon, Alina's first full moon at the Little Palace and about a week into her new life

Genya and Aruna had become her second and third true friends, only beaten by Mal.

Usually Alina did not appreciate the moon, sure it was important and useful. When Mal and Alina would sneak out as children and Alina would sit on a rock and stare up at the moon as Mal tracker, Alina grew to study the giant rock.

However, watching all the grisha down on the lakes, most prepared with blankets others brave enough to brace the still present chill of winter and paddle their feet in the water.

But as the sun set the pressures of being a sun summoner seemed to disappear with it. How could it not when she got to watch the art in front of her.

The faint glow that always seemed to accompany Aruna in life burst around her, then danced away with the shadows, into the night.

The water seemed to just drift to Aruna, her body moving, not in a dance that would be seen in a ball room nor in a bedroom, but arguably just as beautiful.

Aruna always had this utterly 'other-wordly' energy around her, and here under the full moon was it obvious.

The movements of her body, so natural that the moon seemed to dance with her, the water singing a song to the rhythm that Aruna and her white glow danced to.

The sight was incredible. Alina was a sun summoner, a glorified candle. But Aruna, the way that the light came out of her and danced with her very soul, the water engaging in this dance performed by the moon.

Alina understood why every grisha was eagerly waiting for the end of the day to come during training. Understood why the Darkling, as well as practically everyone in the Little Palace looked at Aruna as if she put the stars in the sky.

And maybe she didn't put the stars in the skies, but she sure put them in everyone's eyes, even the darkest eyes, eyes as dark as night, hiding in the shadows.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ✷ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Aleksander had never wanted to be the hero, he was content being the villain, perhaps he even was.

Yet he accomplished what he wanted, he gave a safe space for grisha. Yet he could have more, perhaps he could blame it on his mothers encouragement, more like forcing ambition.

He loved Ravka, ultimately no matter what country he travelled to Ravka was always home.

And no one likes destroying their home, much less watching their home getting destroyed. For years he had sat back and watched King and Queen's ruler Ravka.

Some great and some horrible. Some kind and compassionate and some horrible and murderous.

Yet it seemed the inbreeding had seemed to really affect Alexander III, the only sensible one in the royal family was Nikioal, even as a boy growing up he had some sense.

That could not be the same for Vasile. And the way he always stared at Aruna was only furthering Aleksanders ideas of regicide.