☆26☆ late returns...

Start from the beginning

"Guys, let's all keep quiet and give her a chance to speak. I will do the asking and she will answer. The rest of you will stay mute and listen on."

They chorused in agreement,"Sure."

"Okay, Karmale. How are you?"

"I'm all good, Karta."

"Yeah, yeah. Woman I can see you're glowing. Huh!" She nudged her in the side.

"No, Karta. I'm not glowing. I have just grown fat." Karmale corrected with a monotone.

"No, woman. It's shimmering not fatness. You have just grown thick!" Karta praised.

The women looked on jealously and the men with a bored look.

"Karta, please. Are you straight?"

"Oscar, please." Karta shoved him off.

"Honestly, you are over complementing her. I won't lie she looks all extraordinarily curvecous but that's not for your mouth to point out."

"Shut up, Oscar." Karta deadpanned. "I am only pointing out changes. It's not bad. I'm her mate here. The rest of you look rather jealous."

"Anyway, Karmale. As I was saying before some envious people interrupted me." She said her coal irises literally shooting through Oscar's own hazel ones.

"Leave that part for Shaun, Karta. Only he should do that." Oscar interjected.

"Yeah." Every other person agreed as they searched Karmale's face for any expression.

Not to disappoint them, she faked a bashful smile.

"Awww." They cooed.

"See, told you. It's Shaun. Not you." Oscar returned the same look Karta had shot him a while back.

"Mr. Jeopardenn's P. A!" Oscar emphasized.

"Whatever! " Karta shrugged it off.

"That's not the point anyway. The point is that this once lost damsel looks more beautiful than before. Talking about lost, where had you disappeared to?"

"Yeah, yeah. Tell us Karmale." They all shouted causing a noise.

Karmale looked at the expectant faces and for a while she was lost. What was she going to say to them?

"You and your work will miserably part ways." Those words re-echoed in her ears.

"Karmale, we are waiting for you to speak. Come on. Everyone is worried about you. It's been a whole month and no nothing about you. Just one morning you show up all looking dapper. What's up? Where have you been, doing what and why for so long?" Karta shook her arm to get her attention. Ryxel's threat had sent her mind racing to another planet.

"Er..."she tried to think of a lie but nothing crossed her mind.

"Ummm...I-" she tried again but still no words that would form a proper sentence came out of her mouth.

"I-I was at my parent's place. You know they are at their retirement stage. They are old now. They need someone to take care of them. I was on a month's leave so that I would do just that."

"But Karmale, I assume you have siblings."

"Let me confirm that. Yeah I do but-"

"Karmale, tell us the truth. Come on. We are not dummies. No one goes to take care of oldies and comes back looking like an Egyptian queen. It looks like you were being pampered wherever you where and not the vice versa."