Chapter 4: The Return Home

Start from the beginning

As they shook hands, Professor Oak tilted his head in thought "It's strange…I swear I've heard the name Leaf befo-"

"Well it's a really popular name!" Leaf immediately chimed in, trying to change the subject "After all, all the trees are full of them!"

Everyone in the facility laughed at her joke, except Red, who face palmed and slowly walked up to her "See they don't know who you are!" He whispered in her ear as he passed by.

"Anyway, Professor I believe you want this!" Red said as he pulled a square device from his pocket and handed it to him "I've recorded data on all the pokemon from the all the different regions, I just need a few more to finish it and you know the ones I'm looking for right?"

Oak nodded "The mystic birds right?"

Leafs eyes widened as she heard what Professor Oak said "The mystic birds?" She yelled, turning to Red in awe.

"That's right!" Red replied as he looked back at her "You know them?"

"Well, I know of them…." Leaf said as she started to count on her fingers "Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres! But I thought they were….well as the name implies….a legend….a fairy tale….."

"No my dear…." Oak reassured her "They do indeed exist and-"

"And I would have caught them too if I didn't get so distracted last time!" Red noted as he tilted his hat over his eyes.

"Now Red, there's no need to eat yourself up about that." Oak tried to console him, but Red narrowed his eyes as his frustration grew.

"If I wasn't so focused on winning the league my first time, I would have caught them before they disappeared from this region!" He belittled himself "Then, after traveling through various regions, I finally discovered they were in Kalos, but the temptation of winning another league made me miss my chance again!"

Oak shook his head "Red, it's alright you've done a phenomenal job filling out the pokedex." He exclaimed, trying to calm the boy down "And don't worry, you'll find the mystic birds this time for sure!"

Red lowered his head again "Yeah, but it could have been done already and then…..I could finally put….it….to rest…"

"Red…." Oak whispered as he placed a hand on his shoulder "Your mother's proud of you, no matter what the outcome and you know it…."

Upon hearing that, Red slowly nodded and the professor handed him some papers "Here, these are the locations that the birds have been spotted in recently and don't worry this is their home turf, they won't be going anywhere anytime soon!"

Red smiled "Thank you!" He said as he looked over the papers "For everything….."

"No I should be thanking you! It's the least I could do for all the help you've been with the pokedex." Oak replied and then turned to Leaf "As for you young lady…..I assume Red's going to show you how to become a pokemon trainer."

"Umm..N-no!' Leaf hesitantly replied "Red invited me to travel with him; I have no intentions of becoming a trainer."

"I see…. well…regardless, you shouldn't travel without a pokemon partner." Oak noted as he motioned to the table behind him "Here! Feel free to choose one of these starter pokemon I have here and-"