Prologue

May 1st, 1998

The massive snake lay still on the forest floor - upon a bed of fallen leaves. The ground was woven with gnarly tree roots that excellently camouflaged her body, which was protectively coiled around her ten eggs. Her large body - roughly twelve feet long and as thick as a grown man's thigh - was covered in smooth scales that formed a reticulated pattern of irregular black-bordered nepeta green diamond-like shapes and other smaller markings.

The python had been dozing - basking in the sunlight that leaked through the interstices of the broad leafed trees that loomed above her. The large forest was teeming with vegetation - and hence it had been rather easy for her to find a safe place to lay her eggs, amongst the dense foliage. Had she laid her eggs out in the open in an exposed location, indisputably, they would have been vulnerable to the many creatures that dwelled in the Forbidden Forest.

The snake had been sleeping soundly up until the moment when she suddenly jolted awake to the sound of someone calling her name. It was unmistakably a human voice, but they were speaking in parseltongue, and so the python could understand what they were saying. She squirmed on the ground with indecision, reluctant to abandon her eggs, but simultaneously unwilling to ignore her Master. 

After all, he was the father of her children.

Having come to a decision, with one final glance at her eggs, she swiftly slithered away from the nesting spot - with even her tail soon disappearing out of sight as she blended in with her surroundings and headed towards the sound of Lord Voldermort's call.

May 2nd, 1998

Less than 24 hours later, Nagini was killed during the Battle of Hogwarts - slain by the Sword of Gryffindor, at the hands of Neville Longbottom. Lord Voldemort's piercing scream of anguish at the loss of his final horcrux couldn't be heard over the roaring sounds of the ongoing fighting, but it was perceptible to the sensitive inner ears of the unhatched snakelets whose eggs were just beginning to crack - in the tenebrous depths of the Forbidden Forest.

Within a few hours, all ten eggs had hatched. The small snakelets wriggled out of their eggs after creating an opening in their shells by piercing them with their egg tooth. Nine of the newly hatched snakes looked like miniature duplicates of their mother. But the tenth newborn looked very unlike the rest of his nest. First of all, this creature was much larger than the other snakelets, who were all approximately 35 centimetres long, whilst their sibling was roughly the size of a newborn human child - about 50 centimetres in length. More notably, however, the hatchling possessed distinctly humanoid features - appearing to be half human and half snake! It had the physical build of a human, but the majority of its lower body, as well as its upper arms and shoulders, were covered in green and black scales that formed the same reticulated pattern that covered Nagini and the rest of her young. The half-breed had eyes the color of blood and slits instead of nostrils. Lustrous black scales covered its scalp, bearing a faint resemblance to human hair.

The creature rolled over onto its stomach and began crawling away from its siblings, with an expression of firm determination set in its gaze. An expression of resolve to seek vengeance. Somehow it knew - it knew about its mother, about its father. And how they had been killed. How they had been at the pinnacle of power, and how all that power had been stripped away from them. He would regain that power, make the murderers of his parents pay, and one day - he would rule the world.

Garfantell had been born. 

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the Harry Potter series - all credit for creating this remarkable universe goes to J. K. Rowling.