Special: Understanding Masa niisama (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

[Gome ne niisama. Mark was just being a teased. I will do it. I promise.] He finally spoke after a minute of silence, his words full of sincerity now.

"No. No. It is I who should be more sorry Mark. I'm sorry for snapping at you just now. I was a burnt out today. Forgive this old brother of yours ok?"

The tension eased down a bit after we apologized to each other so we began to talking about the universities we got chosen to. The both of us shared an equally high IQ so it was only natural for us to get into the most prestigious Universities we wanted in Bangkok and in Japan.

The first day of my university life finally came and despite my effort to make a first impression of willfulness, I ended up getting lost instead. No matter how smart I am in other matters, my sense of direction was the worst. I can't even count how many times I have lost myself in the mall when I was a kid and even until now, I can sometimes stumble in the wrong floors looking for stores I had already gone to in the past.

Good thing that I came earlier expecting things like this can happen on my first time here in this vast new place for me. I glanced down at my watch and saw that I still have an hour left before my first class starts. I still have time to explore a bit until I make it to my first period.

Ah!

My feet leading me to the College of Architecture instead of Medicine was so ironic that my scalp started itching. What in the world is this kind of sardonic play of fate?

I looked up at the four storey building and woefully began imagining myself entering it in some other parallel world where I am much able to.

"What is that kid staring at? Did he see some ghost in our building or what?"

"Maybe it's his first time seeing a building this tall. He's probably from the country side."

"Weird kid."

"Well he's cute though. Look at how fair his skin is."

"Yes he is! Oh I hope the nong is a freshie in our faculty."

"..."

A group of students who were most likely seniors came of the building looking all at my direction. I closed my gaping mouth and roughly fumbled on my shirt trying to hide my embarrassment. I surely looked all foolish and weird to the eyes of those seniors. I hurriedly walk away but it only took a few strides when I realized I was heading back to where I came from. I made a twitching movement turning back to the other direction and heard the girls in that group of seniors giggled seeing me shuffling awkwardly.

"Awww. So cute. Hey Nong! Yes you." One of the girls called out to me making me stopped abruptly as I point my index finger to my own bewildered face. She sweetly smiled at me and gracefully hopped towards me grabbing my right hand immediately to shake with hers.

"..."

"Hi! I'm Phailin. And those are my friends. We are second years in this faculty. We saw how you gazed longingly at our building. Are you a freshie here perhaps?" She asked gleefully never letting go of my hand. I became extremely shy all of a sudden in front of this pretty senior whom I just first met.

"Uh...Nice to meet you P Phailin. I am Masa. Yes I am a freshie but I'm a Medical student though." I told her smiling despite my nervousness. P Phailin pouted after learning I am not an architecture student.

"That's sad. When I thought we almost bagged the Moon of our faculty this year. Such shame you are not among is nong. But why are you here?"

"I think the nong is lost." One of the guys sneered. I automatically bowed my head down feeling another wave of embarrassment.