Ch.7 Pick a Partner

That night, I walk in the bar and see a table of six with Jack, Buzzy, Coxy, Eruzione, and Silky.

"Hey Y/N/N!" Jack says as he sees me approach the table.

"Here, we figured we'd go ahead and order for you." Buzzy says, handing me a drink.

"Thanks, Buzz." I say, taking a sip.

"So, Y/n...what was going on with you and Mac out there on the ice, hmmm?"

As Jack says this Buzz furrows his dark eyebrows in curiosity, but I can sense a bit of anger coming off him.

"Oh uhh..you mean after practice? Yeah, that was nothing." I shrug.

"Mmmhhhmm, ok whatever you say." Jack says playfully elbowing me in the side.

"Seriously! It was nothing! We're just friends, really."

"Ok, then." Jack says with a wink.

I quickly avert the situation by sipping the beer in front of me. Buzzy runs his fingers through this dark brown hair and says,

"I'm gonna use the restroom."

I watch him get up from the table, wondering what's up with him.

The rest of the night is uneventful. We all talk about our goals in life and other interests. Luckily no one brings up Rob again.

I notice i'm getting tired and tell everyone I'm heading out.

When I get back to my room, right as I'm about to open the door, I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"So how'd it go?"

I spin around. Mac.

"I mean, it was quite boring honestly. Except Jack kept trying to get me to admit that we're a thing so..."

"Ugh, typical. I'll talk to him."

"Yeah please. Talk some sense into him!"

Mac chuckles.

"Well I guess I'll see you bright and early tomorrow." He says

"Yup! Night Mac."

"Night L/n." Rob says with a wink.

Rob has this unnerving smirk on his face as I enter my room. The quick glance I get when I turn around just kills me.

I take my shoes and bra off immediately and jump into bed, almost instantly falling asleep.

The next morning at practice when the whole team is in the locker room, Craig approaches Rob, Mark, and me.

"Hey, Herb wants to see you three in his office, thanks."

Oh god.

The three of us eye each other, praying that Herb doesn't do what we think he's gonna do.

This is it. I'm getting kicked off the team.

Everyone watches as we exit the room with shocked looks on their faces.

Johnson knocks on Herbs door.

"Come in."

"You wanted to see us, coach?" Rob asks.

"Ah yes. I'm thinking of putting you three on the same line-up together. Would that be alright?"

The three of us nod and say yes in agreement.

"Ok, that'll be all."

I exit with relief, the fear of being kicked off is gone.

Once we all get in the hall, we hug, patting each other on the back.