Ch. 3 Not a Date

"So you said you go to Yale right?" Mac asks me with his eyes on the road.

"That's right." I say, "And you've played for Herb before?"

"Yup, for four years now. Now how did you manage to get on a hockey team like the one at Yale?"

"A lot, and I mean a lot of persuasion, and my dad has some really good connections." I say, "He's taught me everything I know."

"That's crazy. You know I never thought a guy like Herb would let a girl on his team. No offense." He quickly catches himself looking at me to make sure I wasn't offended.

"It's fine." I chuckle, "I get a lot of that."

Rob and I continue to talk on the way to the bar, and we really got to know each other. He has some of the best hockey stories, and he really seemed to enjoy the ones that I told him about beating up some guys on the ice.

Once we get inside, I see Rizzo and wave to him. He waves back happily.

"Hey Rizzo!" Mac almost shouts.

Instead of the happy wave he gave to me, he gives Mac a smaller wave. Jack O'Callahan or OC, as everyone calls him said something to him, clearly frustrated.

Mac and I walk over to a different table filled with guys who made the team with our test that Coach Patrick had given us. Verchota, Jannie, Ramsey, Christian, and Morrow were all taking their tests at one of the tables.

"Hey Phillie what are you on?" One of the guys asks.

"My test is done." 

"Jesus!"

"Me and Jannie are done."

"Verchota you're done?"

"I'm on page four."

Mac and I walk over to their table, but I can feel eyes on me from behind.

"Hey Mac!" Morrow says, "And it's L/N right?"

"Yup, Y/N L/N"

"You killed it out there today." Jannie says.

"Thanks"

"I didn't even know that it was possible for a girl to have skills like that." Verchota says.

I didn't really like that comment, but what did I expect?

"I don't even know if I like the idea of having a girl on my team though." Phillie says (Verchota and Phillie are the same person. Verchota is just his last name.)

"Okay that's enough out of you Phillie." Mac says.

"Sorry, I'm just saying I don't want her whining all the time. Plus it's not like she'll even be able to hit anyone out there."

"You wanna test that theory?" I snap back.

"Sure why not?" He says standing up.

"Okay guys does this really matter why don't we all just rela-" Morrow starts.

Before he can finish his sentence, I punch Verchota in the face. Hard. He falls to the floor and gets up with a bloody nose.

"Should I continue?" I say with a smirk.

He says nothing and sits back in his chair in silence.

All the guys at our table's jaws are dropped, so are the guy's at Rizzo's table. The whole restaurant was staring.

"Carry on everyone it's all good over here!" Jannie shouts.

"Nice hit." Mac whispers in my ear, secretly fist bumping me under the table.