Ch.1 19 hours

"You got me!" I shouted pumping my legs along the ice at maximum speed. My best friend Andrew passed me the puck from across the rink. I slam it straight in between the legs of our goalie, Josh, who was also one of my best friends. 

"Nice Shot Y/N/N!" Andrew shouted at me.

"Nice Assist." I say back.

We bump gloves, as this is our signature thing to do after one of us scores a goal. 

Andrew is a very athletic person, and has probably played every sport to exist, but he obviously settled for hockey. He has broad shoulders and he gives the best bear hugs. He has bright green eyes and fluffy brown hair. He has always been my buddy ever since we both joined the team, and this is probably one of the best friendships I've ever had. Josh is also very athletic with a nice build. He has jet black hair and brown eyes. He has the best sense of humor and has never failed to make me laugh. We first met as roommates because I was put in a co-ed dorm, and it just so happened that we were all on the hockey team.

"Alright everyone that's it for today, pack up your gear and you can go home." Our coach told us.

I skated over to my water bottle on the bench and took several sips.

"Oh one more thing," Coach tells us as we were all about to go in the locker room, "Herb Brooks is holding tryouts for the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team, so would the following please see me in my office after practice."

I'm pretty sure my soul left my body when I heard these words, but there was just one issue. I'm a girl. Yup. Now you're probably wondering how I got into college hockey in a boy's league. Well, you could say I was pretty good. Hell, I'm incredible, for college hockey at least. It took a lot of convincing, but I finally got the Yale hockey coach to let me on his team. I've played on boy's teams all my life. It's just something I've gotten used to. Mostly because nobody even has had a remote thought about starting a girl's hockey league.

"Josh, Brian, Andrew, Conner, Y/N...," 

A gasp escaped my lips, and Coach said a few more names, and dismissed us. I couldn't believe it or think straight. Coach wanted me to try out for the U.S. Olympic team? Surely there's a catch. Josh and Andrew drew me out of my thoughts as they were shaking me violently.

"Y/N/N, are you coming or not?" Josh says.

"Yeah, uh, yeah." I say standing up and heading for the locker room.

"Can you believe that coach wants the three of us to try out for the U.S. Olympic team?" Andrew says.

"Surely coach doesn't want me on that team. Is that even allowed?" I ask.

"I don't know, but it would be sick if we could." Josh says.

The three of us walk to the locker room, our sticks and helmets in hand while our skates hit each other with each step.

I sat down at my spot and took off my skates, jersey, and pads revealing my base layer. I take my sweats out of my duffel and put them on over my clothes. I put on a fresh pair of socks and my air jordans. 

Josh and Andrew had lockers next to mine, so we all went to coach's office together.

When we entered his office Brian and Conner exited with smiles on their faces, so that got my hopes up a little. 

"Ah, Josh, Andrew, Y/N I would like the three of you to try out for Herb's U.S. Olympic team, but Y/N obviously you might have a little trouble with this, but I may have a solution. You are a very talented player and a necessity to this team. Now I have talked to Herb about you maybe trying out, but he didn't seem too fond of having a girl on his team, but he's agreed to talk with you. He did say it was a very unlikely thing, but I know you're very good at persuading so maybe. Just maybe."