Chapter Thirty-Eight

This was it. It was now or never. I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked fine. My hair was fine, my shoes were okay and although the dress was long, it wasn't a length size that I couldn't manage. All would be fine. For a moment as I looked at myself in the mirror I was reminded of my mother and of her beauty. I would never forget about her as long as I lived and I was sure that she was watching me from somewhere and that she was keeping me safe. That alone gave me the courage to open that door.

As my heart beat with rapid speed I walked as carefully as I could. I seemed balanced enough to do so. After the many months that I had spent here I already knew the hallways like the back of my hand. I walked towards the stairs and as I held on the rails I saw many people who were natively from Sha. All of them had blue skin, but some had pale hair, others black and others an orange tone. Their eyes were mostly the same though, most of them had that golden color regardless of their hair color. Only one of them had dark eyes. Most of them were of a medium height and not as tall as the prince, but they did have strong bodies and their wives seemed to have them too.

Luckily, they were all dressed in formal dresses and suits. I wasn't going to be an embarrassment. Hopefully, they would appreciate some great Sha food and human music. There was no way in hell that I was listening to that other stuff.

I walked down the case of stairs and the stares on me were unavoidable. As soon as I paced down, everybody was looking at me. Their voices now hushed in a silent glamour. I instantly shook knowing that all of the attention was now on me. I wasn't used to such attention and it made me increasingly nervous.

The prince stared up after the people who accompanied him pointed towards me. A male and female Sha were with him. They both had dark hair with streaks of silver on it and their faces looked more mature than Brok's. I assumed they were his parents. Brok pulled or shoved people away nicely to make space for himself and by the time I reached the last step, Brok held his hand up towards me. I took it and he led the way for me. Everyone seemed shocked by this, but nobody talked about it. Everyone stared.

Brok looked different and handsome... I meant to say, that he looked fine. The thing that distinguished him the most tonight from all other nights was his hat. He was wearing a beret that had long, pitch black feathers on its right side. A dark scarf dangled on his neck like a necklace and a golden belt hung at his side like strip band of a beauty pageant contestant. A long dark coat wrapped his muscled body and I wasn't sure, but I thought that his long hair was probably in a tail.

The prince ignored everyone around us. Most of them would not take their eyes off me and I could see them whisper in each other's ears. Not only that, but I noticed the two little horns on their heads. Everybody had them, all of them except Brok. The prince however ignored them all and walked towards the two Sha people who accompanied him. He never let go of my hand and every time I glanced at him, he smiled with gentleness. All I could do was thank him for his kindness and for his compassion.

"Father, this is Anabella. Anabella, this is my father King Mroutt," Brok said. I bowed gently towards his father, but I could barely repeat the name. I didn't want to embarrass Brok, so I didn't ask for the name again. I simply bowed to the king in the most respectful way. The King nodded.

"This is my mother, queen Kristta," he said and I bowed at her just as I had done with his father. Kristta was an easier name for me to pronounce. I would ask about the king's name again when we were alone. She wore a white dress with long sleeves and a v line. It was shaped like a bell. She looked beautiful in it. Her hair was long and straight. It was jet black just like her son's hair.2

"Nice to meet you," I said.

"It is interesting to meet you Anabella. Is it true that my son has asked to marry you?" The king asked. Wow, these creatures were direct.