Thirty-Six

I'm nervous. So, so nervous.

Josh and I have been dancing around this for months, know each other so well now, but somehow, I'm still nervous.

Anandi is perched on the edge of the toilet seat as I sit cross-legged in front of the full-length mirror in the bathroom, adding to the finishing touches of my make-up. "Nat, just take a few deep breaths, all right? It's just Josh, there's no need to get so worked up."

I groan, pausing from where I'm applying a layer of mascara. "I know, but I think that's the whole problem. It's Josh."

She chuckles, shaking her head. "Yeah, Josh. The guy who, according to Gray, has had stars in his eyes when looking at you for literally ages. I really don't think there's much to worry about here, it's not like he's going to turn around and change his mind."

I know she's right. Josh has never given me a reason to doubt him and in the last few days that we've been together, he's been wonderful.

We still had our regular Monday morning study date followed by coffee and it was just like normal, except this time, there was a bit of hand-holding and kissing involved.

I noticed some eyes on us as we were walking from the library to the Beanery, but I didn't bat an eyelid. I just focused on the man beside me instead.

On Tuesday, we both had pretty full-on days, but managed to grab a quick bite to eat together for lunch. Josh messaged after his shift at Smith's, but I was already passed out in my bed, exhausted.

So, here we are on Wednesday evening and I'm currently having a bit of a freak-out. He told me to dress casual but warm, which was no help at all, of course, in my outfit worries.

But it's Josh. It's going to be fine. In fact, it's going to be better than fine.

Like I say, it's Josh.

So, I decide on jeans and a knit sweater, because I literally have no other options.

"You look beautiful," MJ grins as she barges into the bathroom, her glasses perched on her nose, as a sure sign that she's been studying.

I beam at her, before turning back to the mirror and checking my reflection one last time, just to be sure that I look okay. "Okay, I think I'm ready. What time is it?"

I've got myself together with two minutes to spare, it turns out, but it takes me longer than that to throw enough things into my purse and put my shoes on.

By the time I re-emerge from my bedroom, Anandi has already let Josh in to the building and a soft knock sounds against our door.

MJ gets to the door before I can and swings it open, revealing a grinning Josh, a bunch of orange flowers in his fist.

I've never been good with flowers, so I've no idea what they're called, but they're beautiful nonetheless. My cheeks warm at the sight of him, gazing at me like I'm the light in the world.

He, on the other hand, could tempt anyone to the deadliest of sins with that smile. He's wearing tight dark jeans, with a light grey UBC sweater under a black jacket. His curls sit perfectly on top of his head, as usual, and his stubble has grown back since he shaved it for the party on Saturday night.

In other words, he looks downright edible.

I gulp audibly, ignoring the smug looks on the girls' faces as I breach the distance between us. My hands find his shoulders and I brush my lips against his.

His hand not occupied with flowers settles on my waist and he smiles against my mouth. "Hi, Nat."

"Hey," I murmur softly, pulling back as his scent invades my senses.