Top 5 Dragons

05/08/2021

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I posted something in this book, so I've decided to just come up with something random to put in it. And since my profile is mainly focused on the creatures, I think a good place to start is my personal list of my favourite dragons I've come across in movies, books, tv shows, and/or video games. So, hope you enjoy and comment on what your favourite dragons are below XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Tasha - Upon Wings of Change by Crystal Scherer

To put it frankly, I don't quite know why I like Tasha so much as a character. Maybe because, as far as dragons go anyway, she (and the rest of her kind) are probably the most unique dragons I've come across, or maybe it is because of the juxtaposition with what her life was like before she became one. Once a smart and successful college student, kidnapped and turned into a cat-sized, kinda cat-like, fruit-eating, fire breathing dragonet. The way her new instincts are described within the book is probably my favourite aspect of her character as they force her to react in ways she wouldn't have done so if she were human. It allows for a very instinctual character accompanied by the intelligence of a human. It's a partnership that I absolutely love to see in a book and hope to explore one day. 

4. MoonWatcher - Wings of FIre by Tui. T Sutherland

The Wings of Fire books have been some of my favourite dragon based fiction I've found. While I personally find them a bit more simple than the books I usually like to read, I can't deny that I've fallen in love with the world and the characters that Tui. T Sutherland has created. My favourite of which being MoonWatcher. As far as main characters go in the series, Moon's ability to see into the future and read minds was quite a joy to read, and what it did for her as a character and how she pictured and saw others definitely made her one of the most impactful characters for me personally. I've always been a bit of a sucker for the ability to read minds, so finally being able to explore a character that really had no control over the ability became very fun to read. My only complaint with the story is that we really didn't get to see more from her point of view, even if she is still very prevalent in the following books. 

3. Spyro - The Legend of Spyro Trilogy by Insomniac games

Now, this is not the 'original' Spyro to any who may care about that, and while I don't mind his original games I found a lot more interest in playing the Legend of Spyro Trilogy. A darker, grittier version of Spyro. He holds a special place in my heart as the dragon that sparked my original interest in the species, was my inspiration to apply elemental powers beyond fire to my dragons, and have them not just breathe the element they are a part of but fully envelop it. He was your typical hero character,  'the rare purple dragon who would save them all', and probably isn't as complicated or intricate a character as the rest on this list, but I can't deny that it is the influence he gave that started all that I've done. For that alone, I think he deserves my number 3 XD.

2. Saphira - The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

Now, if you have looked at my profile in any detail, you will know that I absolutely love The Inheritance Cycle. I can't say that it is one hundred percent the best book series I've ever read, nor the most intricate, or the most inspiring, but they are definitely my favourite books of all time. One of the simple reasons for this is Saphira, and the connection shared between her and the main character Eragon. The way she, and the other dragons, within the series are created and shown within the world is awe-inspiring. But the one thing that has drawn me furthest into loving her character is the dragon-rider bond explored throughout the series. If I had to choose any fantasy world, and any role, I would choose to be a dragon rider within this world. The loyalty both Saphira and Eragon have with each other, the struggles they go through of being one mind (practically) and two bodies, and the length they go to for each other has been my favourite work of literacy I have come across. Despite the amount of dragon rider work I've found, nothing comes close to the bond these two characters share, and I love it.

1. Temeraire - The Temeraire series by Naomi Novick

Surprisingly the most recent addition to this list, taking the number one spot quite quickly, is Temeraire. As much as I love the Saphira and the world she represents, Temeraire is quite literally everything I want from a dragon. Intelligent, Brave, Powerful (at least in comparison to the other dragons he comes into contact with), with his own character quirks and faults that make him as real as you and me. He has a habit of questioning things with intelligent innocence that shows the ridiculousness of our society. He's a philosopher, a mathematician, a poet, a soldier, a commander, and a business...dragon? The way he reacts to the world and what happens through it is astounding and intricate in a way I have yet to match with my own character design. He's loyal to his rider, emotional, a child with the intelligence and thirst for knowledge of a renowned scientist. Not only is he one of the greatest dragons I've ever had the pleasure of reading about, but also one of the best characters I have come across. For that, I have to put him at number one.

But enough of my fanboying over my favourite dragons. What did you think of my list? Are there characters on here that you've never thought of before? Are there dragons you are surprised that aren't on this list? And most importantly, what are your favourite dragons you've come across through your time read/watching movies/ Tv series, etc. I'll be keen to know XD

Pennator^^