Chapter 51

I'm confused and shocked. Now, I don't know who to run to or talk to. I don't know what to think about Ben and Perry. I don't even want to consider whether or not this is their first time hooking up.

My pace quickens as I exit the Nine Lives. Fuck, I drank – I can't drive now.

Who do I trust enough to drive me home? Who do I trust enough to drive my car?

No one. I trusted Darcy, and I would trust him now. If he was here.

The only person I recognise outside the Nine Lives, barely lit by the street lights, is Drake. Drake is a toxic asshole, dashingly handsome as he is.

"Can you drive?" I say after waltzing up to him, feeling optionless.

"Why?"

"I need a ride to October Academy, and I have a car, but I'm no longer sober."

"Why would you trust me?" he says, half amused, half curious.

"I don't, but I don't have a lot of options. And you're an asshole, but you don't strike me as a psychopath."

He nods his head, "what's in it for me?"

"It'll piss of Alyssa." That's the only thing I can offer him.

"I'm not petty," he says, but I can see in his eyes that he's intrigued. "Fine," he says, standing up from where he was perched on the curb and walking with me across the street to where I parked my car. "I needed a ride anyways."

I sit in the passenger seat of my car. It's an odd sensation, even though I was sitting here just a few weeks ago when I let Darcy test out his skills.

Drake is a better driver than I anticipated. He drives smooth, efficient, yet careful. I glance over at him briefly. His dark brown skin and carefully carved hair make him look like some Calvin Klein model. Alyssa will be fuming when she finds out about this.

"I heard about Alyssa's plan to get you kicked out of Nationals," he says, eyes focussed forward. "It was originally mine."

"She succeeded. You're a criminal mastermind."

"But now it's of no interest to me whether or not she wins Nationals," he says.

"You did it all for her," I realise. "So are you an asshole? Or only if it impresses a girl?"

"No, I enjoyed meddling with you," he says, a sly smile creeping onto his face.

"So you're sadistic, ah," I say, wondering whether or not I made the right choice getting into a car with him after all. He is my enemy (by ex-association).

"I'm kind of over it now, though," he says.

"Oh, so should I thank you?" I say, sarcastically.

"Consider us even," he says, suggesting a car ride takes back everything he's done to me.

I'm not one to hold grudges, but I still will never trust Drake.

My phone buzzes madly in my pocket and I take it out.

Callum: Where r u?

Me: Going home.

My phone keeps buzzing, and I try hard to ignore it.

"Is that your boyfriend texting you?" Drake teases. "Darcy or Xander?"

I roll my eyes. "Boyfriend? Please."

I can't help but check my phone.

Callum: I thought you were staying over?

Me: Don't worry, you've got someone else to keep you company.

Callum: Oh baby, did I make you jealous?

I'm so furious I might just scream. Drake stops driving and I realise we've made it back to October Academy. I don't notice until after the flash has gone off that Drake takes a picture of his hand on the gear stick. My legs in the background.

He posts the photo on his Snapchat story. "Nice doing business with you," he says, extending his hand.

We shake.

I got a free ride, he got to make Alyssa jealous. I'm sure she'll be swiping up on his story in no time. Hopefully she doesn't end up at my door. 

_______________________

since that was such a short chapter (and i even uploaded the extended version) i will upload two today!!! just since i love you guys so much. 

i hope you're enjoying the story so far!!

love, 

aurora