Chapter 35

What could Callum possibly want at nine o'clock at night? And why does he have to interrupt me when I'm being productive for the first time in months?

I stand up, pacing over to my door hesitantly. My hand hovers at the door knob. Somehow, I find the strength to open it.

"What do you want?" I snap. Walls up, attitude on, claws out.

In this light, his eyes are pale green.

"I just came to drop off your medal. Can I come in?" His voice is different. It's like he's wearing authority like a disposable mask. Is this the new Callum from now on?

I stand back and let him inside.

He offers me the medal. I take a step forward, hand outstretched, ready to accept it. But he pulls back, just enough that my hand falters, pausing in mid-air.

His eyes lock on mine, firmly and piercingly.

"What?" I say, voice not as certain as before.

"I just..." The mask is off. He sounds normal again. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" I fain oblivion.

"I'm sorry for what happened."

I realise it's the first time we've spoken in person since the kiss.

"For kissing me or for regretting it?" Why the fuck would I say that? I don't want to know the answer.

"I don't regret –" he cuts himself off. "It's inappropriate for us to talk like this." His authoritative voice reappears.

"Don't treat me like some stranger – not when we're alone."

"I'm not," he sighs, placing the medal in my hands. "Congratulations."

He walks out, and although he tries to stop himself, he slams the door. I flinch.

I cannot be productive after that. I save my assignment and go to bed.

.

.

.

On Monday it's the Athletics Carnival. People seem to be more interested in the anonymous threats to parliament on the news – pressuring the 'truth' to be revealed, or things will get ugly. What truth? I don't know. Do I care? Not in the slightest.

I'd like to think I'm quite good at athletics. However, I can't really tell because the only students that compete are scholarship kids – and they're here for their abilities. Like I am for ice-skating. The school caters to the rich, but to keep up its reputation against its competitors, it finds the most talented people it can and offers them scholarships. Rich kids don't need to work hard, so they profit off the talents of the poor. When they are interviewed for their future jobs, they have the reputation of the scholarship kids, even though they didn't contribute to it.

While sitting in the line up for triple jump, I see Alyssa crying. Her best friend, Chloe, and Chloe's boyfriend Gadi comfort her. Acacia and Perry stare too. Cherry, a girl from my English class, leans in and tells us that Drake just broke up with Alyssa.

What an asshole. Finals are next week; couldn't he have held off until after exams? How will she concentrate? I can't help but pity her.

Cherry stands up and takes her turn to triple jump. The teacher measuring her jump applauds loudly, telling her she broke the school record. I didn't realise Cherry was a scholarship kid. She's nosey – seems to be in everyone's business. How can an outsider be an insider?

Over the loudspeakers, I'm called to the office. Fuck. Did Svetkov find out about my sombre sleepover? I regret it enough as it is, I don't need any further punishment.