~~~

"Morning." I mumble as Alek and I join the table full of Night court members– each of them clearly joining for breakfast in hope of witnessing any drama. I didn't think Renae would be here, but her dark eyes watch my every move from the opposite side of the room. The rings around her eyes indicate she had little to no sleep.

"I'm sorry to intrude on such a short notice– I didn't plan on staying." Alek defends and I smile at them, at their politeness.

"No trouble at all, any-  friend of Alirra's is welcome here." Feyre smiles back at him and introduces everyone at the table. I know for fact they won't remember a single name. Their gaze lingers on Renae the longest, a knowing glint to their eyes which made Renae frown slightly.

"So when will you be leaving?" She calls over the table to Alek and I wish I could kick her ankle from here.

"I might show them around Velaris." I reply before Alek can say 'after breakfast' like we planned. Renae stabs a piece of waffle a little stronger than needed and I try to hide the smile creeping across my face– I notice I'm not the only one enjoying this.

"So how do you know Alirra?" Cassian leans his head onto his hand, playfully as if rubbing this further into Renae's pain.

"Since we were youngsters, living on the streets of the Winter court. Ali, used to steal from the markets whilst I preferred the more moral— resources from bushes and lakes." They turn toward me and smile– reminiscing about our pasts.

"How righteous of you." Renae smiles– her words providing a bit of a bite. Alek doesn't cower at her dominating demeanour and looks her up and down, knowing exactly what she's trying to do and challenges her back.

"So you're close?" Cassian pushes– further messing with Ren who clenches her fist tighter around her fork.

"Oh yes. Very close." They reply with little emotion and never remove their eyes from Renae's– making the dig even deeper.

They spend a few more moments glaring intensely– a silent battle for who's the most assertive. As the second tick along, my heart beats faster and my palms begin to sweat.

"Alek, you better get going, it's a long journey." I stand from my chair and pull on their tensed arm that wouldn't hesitate to clench around Renae's throat.

"I'll walk you out." I finish.

Alek follows me out to the balcony where we had landed a few hours ago.

"She's definitely your mate, that's for sure." They say and lean against the balcony barrier– stars carved out of the pearly stone.

"What?"

"A couple months after someone experiences the mating bond– they become defensive and assertive of what's theirs." They smile, proudly, like a youngster who just recited one of Adara's rules.

"What's theirs? I do not belong to anyone." Their smiles creeps into a throaty laugh.

"Ali, you can try to make her jealous all you want, it still doesn't hide the fact you're mates and that eventually, you too will feel this protectiveness that she's going through. Just remember that, respect it."

"Like you respected her?"

"Hey, hey! I actually quite like that lovergirl of yours, I was just taking advantage of a vulnerable mate in their beginning months."

"How nice of you." I roll my eyes as their throaty laugh fills the air yet again.

"I should really get going. Just remember, as fun as it is, don't annoy the beast." They wink and leap of the balcony with large bearing Peregryn wings.

"Found yourself a Peregryn, huh?" I don't turn around, knowing exactly who's stalking in the doorway, making her way toward me.

"Alek is my best friend, we grew up in the Winter court together."

"He's from Winter?"

"They got banished from Dawn." Her expression lightens and recalls the memories of her own bringing up, of my childhood too. How much the three of us are alike.

"I can't control it, you know? You think I wanted this?" I flinch at her choice of words.

"I'm not into females." I ignore her stinging words and try a shot of my own.

"And I suppose you think I am?" She responds and the her words hit me again.

"If you aren't, then how come you were so protective back there?" She rolls her eyes.

"It's a mating bond! Haven't you ever read about them? I don't get to choose who it happens with, and I can't control how jealous I get. You'll understand soon."

"Ha! You wish."

"Again, I don't like females either. And even if I did, I wouldn't want you." Another blow, this one making me flinch hard enough she notices. Tears well in my eyes.

"People keep saying I'll feel it soon, I don't want to if it means being stuck with you for the rest of my life. I mean seriously, Ren, way to win me over!"

I saunter off the balcony and avoid the glares of the High fae that heard every word. I don't let a single tear slip until I've slipped between the sheets of my bed.

Don't forget to vote if you're enjoying it so far :D
Thanks for reading!