+ nine

so here we are again, packing once more. i'm a camera short but i still have loads of clothes so i'll be fine. part of me doesn't want to go and it's entirely because of schlatt. i feel like he brings out the worst of those guys... but maybe i could bring out the best. i squish my suitcase down and zip it up as connor comes up to the door.

"hey.. are you gonna be okay with these guys?" he can't come because he's going to some family thing.
"i mean, it's not like i have a choice. i'll just do my job and get paid."
"listen, you can text me whenever. i know it's scary but it'll be really good for you to get out. we're young, we deserve adventures like this."
i smile and get up to hug him, "you're just as sweet as when we were kids, connor. thank you."
"aw c'mon don't remind me haha. i was such a little worm when we were small." he grins.

"hey i was thinking, could i start streaming with you?"
"dude i was just gonna say that! our mario kart battles would get so many views."
"for real?" i chuckle, "i'll try to get an account set up during the trip."
"yeah, yeah i'll talk to you while you're out there. i really hope you have fun." he smiles.
"hey you too! give a hug to your mom for me."
"i will."

"okay y/n.. i'm sorry but ted and i can't come..."
"what??" i drop my suitcase and stand in shock before charlie.
"i'm sorry! we just can't stay away for too long! we'll be online though!"

"nono charlie you cant.. you can't stay what will i do? im not really... i don't talk much with these other guys i'm just gonna bring down-"
"y/n we need you manning the camera! you're an important member of lunch! don't worry if you get confused you can talk to either of us."
"okay... man... this is scary."
"hey, it's all gonna be fine. travis?"

the little dude waddles over smiling, "mm?"
"make sure y/n's okay yeah?"
"sure!" he nods.
"see, all good."
i take in a deep breath and sigh, "thank you charlie."

just as we're getting in the taxi i get a text.

becca

hey :)
i hear you guys are off to australia!
it works out, i'm gonna be a while here
connor just texted
i'd love to help you get into streaming!
let me know if you need any tips!
excited to see you soon maybe :)

she's so kind ahh. streaming won't be so scary with these guys' help.

melbourne, Australia

dang, it's not actually that hot here. i stay quiet and close to travis while we find these other guys. without connor, ted and charlie here, things feel alien and new. but i suck in a deep breath and let myself walk along while the boys chatter excited, rolling our luggage behind us.

the misfits are not quite what i expected - probably because i expected just some more guys like lunch club. they feel more... mischievous. they remind me of the guys you'd see messing around in the city, just trying to piss off cops or something.

everyone greets each other excitedly, laughing and joking with each other. i catch a couple names, cameron, bucks.

"whos the bird?" one of them says.
noah brings me forward, "this is y/n she's on cameras and stuff! don't worry, she's cool."
"woo noah approved!"
"hey fellas. don't worry, i won't get in your way too much."
"psh, sure." schlatt scoffs.
"ooo! not schlatt approved then?" the one i think's called cameron chuckles. we don't answer.

we get ourselves settled at their apartment for a bit and i try my best to stay out of their way. i manage to find a little office room and check discord for messages from the guys at home. so far it's just well wishing and little filming directions. i hear a melancholy sigh and a knock. "hello?"

schlatt comes in, "hey."
"hey?"
"look, i don't like you. you don't like me."
i nod.
"but ted's asked that i stick with you and make sure you're okay all the time. so since i'm your babysitter, don't be rude and shut up when i say so."
"wh- why the fuck do i have to follow orders?"
he sighs, "so you don't piss me off."
"ugh just stop with the weird edgy facade. i'm not that bad you idiot." i turn back to my laptop.

"he told me you're like, dying too."
"psh, i'm not dying."
"you know what i mean."
"well yeah. why else would i be into gaming and stuff? i was basically condemned to stay stuck inside and get all pale."
"yeah you kinda look like a phantom."
"tough talk from a guy who looks like slenderman."
"i was agreeing with you?"
one of the australian guys call from downstairs, "hurry up guys! we're getting in the minivan!"

by the time we get out, there's only two seats left.
"guess the frenemies have to sit together." cooper smiles.
"shit, i guess we do.."