Nine

Nine

"What's up? What's gotten you in a bad mood?" Vernon's heavy arm draped over my shoulder as we took a break from our practice.

Uminom ako ng aking tubig. Once I've quenched my thirst, I sighed heavily.

"Nothing." I pursed my lips. "Just nothing."

"You know, that was the worst play you've had. What happened to you? Or na-basted ka ba?"

"Basted?" Nagsalubong ang kilay ko. "Wala akong nililigawan."

"Wala pa kasi nga na-basted ka na." He chuckled. "Don't let me guess who, Zoe. Do you have a problem with your Korean girl?"

"No and it's not your business anymore." My tone says it all. I just didn't want to talk about Nori anymore.

It has been a week since she told me that she didn't want to be friends with me anymore. The next day, I skipped practice again just to see her but she ignored me all the time that she was working.

I thought that she was grounded but there she is, working her ass off as if nothing happened between her and her mom. As if she didn't just announce that our friendship is over.

"Man...I thought you don't like her? Walang relationship kapag graduating na diba?" Vernon reminded me. "That was your promise."

"And I intend on keeping it. I don't like Nori, okay?" I stared at him. Agad ko ring iniwas ang tingin at tinitigan ang bote ng tubig. "She said that she didn't want to be friends with me."

"Oh?" Vernon chuckled. "That was fast. Ano bang ginawa mo?"

"Ginawa ko? Wala!" I exclaimed. "I went to their house last week because I was worried."

"And does she know that you're coming?"

Nanahimik ako. Vernon tsked.

"Maybe she didn't want you there." Vernon concluded.

"Why not? I was worried."

"Kung hindi niya naman sinabi, bakit ka pupunta roon? You see if she doesn't want you there, she'll find a way for you to not see her. Magsisinungaling o gagawa 'yan sila ng kwento."

"I still don't understand." Lumalalim na ang kunot sa noo ko.

True enough, I don't really understand what's wrong with it. She lied and I found out. Pumunta ako sa kanila kasi nag-aalala ako. Maybe the reason why she doesn't let me drop her off in front of their house is because she didn't really want me to know. At nang malaman ko ay nagalit siya?

I don't really understand girls. I was trying to be a nice friend to her. I was worried.

"Hindi mo naman talaga maiintindihan, Zoe." Vernon tapped my shoulder as he stood up. Inayos niya ang kaniyang jersey sa harapan ko pati na ang headband na suot.

I watched as he returned to the court to shoot some balls. Nanatili akong nakaupo at nag-iisip pa rin.

Everyday, I've been thinking of Nori. I tried talking to her but she was just ignoring me. Kahit na hinihintay ko siya hanggang sa matapos ang kaniyang shift, she would just walk past me as if she doesn't know me. Kahit si Manong Ayda ay nagtataka kung bakit hindi siya sumasabay sa akin.

"Nandito ka na naman." Isaac shook his head as he offered the menu to me. As usual, siya ang lalapit sa akin kapag nakita na ako ni Nori. The latter would continue serving the other customers kahit na tapos naman na sila talaga.

"I'm always here." I tried to point it out.

Isaac grinned. "Dinner meal ulit? Hihintayin mo siya?"