Thirteen

Thirteen

Christmas day is my family's favorite day. Bukod sa magbibigayan ng regalo, Mom let us do all the things in the kitchen, from preparing the food and arranging the table. We would give Mom a rest because she's been doing things for us, every day and every year. It was time to payback for all her hard work and for taking care of us.

"You're baking a pie for Nori? For Nori lang talaga, Zoe?" Ate Shil asked me as she stared at me in disbelief. I chuckled as I turned the pie, checking on the edges.

"What? She hasn't tasted my homebaked pies. Kayo every year na kaya sa kaniya na lang ito."

Ate Shil laughed. "Make it good! Baka kapag kay Nori na pumalpak ka pa!"

"Ate, don't say things like that!" Natatawa kong sabi bago inilagay ang pie sa oven. I removed the thick baking gloves and put it on the center island. Si Ate Shil naman ay nilalagyan na ng design ang cake na ginawa.

"Susunduin mo ba si Nori? What time?"

"Later at 9. I gotta finish thus pie first then I'll go."

Nori had informed me yesterday that her Mom will be with her Dad on the next few days. She'll be alone after Christmas so might as well spend it with us. Alam ko namang nasanay na siya na kasama lang ang Nana niya na nagc-celebrate but this year's gonna be different for her and I want to make sure of that.

Nori deserves a happy Christmas after all and the best at that. Ever since I met her, all I want to do is make her happy. Life hadn't been easy on her at kahit sana naman sa isang araw lang, it will be something that will linger on her memories.

"Is it okay na she won't spend Christmas with her fam?" tanong pa ni Ate.

"It's fine. Her parents are on a business trip  and I already asked for permission, Ate." I lied smoothly.

"Okay."

Once the pie was done, I left it on my sister's care. Naligo ako at nag-ayos. Nang bumaba ako ay naroon si Mom sa sala at inaayos ang arrangements ng gifts. Mom smiled when she saw me.

"I added gifts for Nori. Galing sa mga pinsan mo ang iba."

Napataas ang kilay ko. "Who exactly, Mom?"

"Sina Vernon. They added some cute small gifts for her so I accepted it the other day. I'm sure Nori will like these."

I smiled. She will. Nori appreciates a lot of things. Big and small. She's always appreciative of the things that were given to her. Mahirap tuloy isipin na may mga tao pa palang gan'on. That someone could appreciate even the smallest efforts. Indeed, my Norine Ahava is a rare gem that I must protect at all cost.

It won't be bad to dream of forever with her right? I don't think I could replace Nori in my life if ever time will come that we will be challenged by the people around us. Hahanap at hahanap ako ng paraan para manatili sa buhay niya. I am not a good guy and that I could be annoying at times. But I can compensate if situation's bad or worst or if Nori doesn't like it, I'll try to be good for her.

It's easy to change when you have someone that inspires you to be better everyday. The smallest of the steps matters.  I've seen Nori getting better and better for herself. She smiles and laughs a lot. She wasn't that shy and timid girl I met before. She was trying to loosen up despite of the kind of life she's living in. At ako? I was trying not to get disappointed of the smallest of things. Hindi na ako nawawala sa mood because I was looking forward to seeing Nori's smiling face when she sees me smiling too.

"Pogi!" She giggled as she tiptoed and pinched both of my cheeks. Napangiwi ako sa madiin niyang pagpisil. She was looking cheeky right now kaya naman hindi na ako nainis pa. Sino ba naman ang maiinis kapag nakita na siyang ngumingiti?