Chapter One - Anguish

When the news came, it hit me like a bullet through the chest. I couldn't wail, nor could I burst into tears. The words seemed... fabricated... it couldn't be true, could it? I felt a stab of anxiety and pain. There's absolutely no way this could be true... I wished that I could pinch myself and it would be all better.

With every word that came out of his mouth, my heart sank further.  I looked at him with pure disbelief.

"I-I'll be back... I-I need a d-drink..." I stammered as I stood up and stalked up to the bathroom. I looked into the mirror and saw blank green eyes that were once bright and full of life had clouded over with an empty, painful look. I ran some water and held out my shaking hands. I tried to splash the water on my face but instead half of it landed on my clothes and the floor. But I don't care.

I looked into the mirror once again. My naturally messy dark brown hair looked in a more pitiful state than usual. My relatively tanned skin was now a sickly white colour.

I sighed heavily. My chin started to tremble, I swallowed hard. Dammit... I thought silently as a stifled whimper made its way out of my throat and warm beads of liquid crawled out of my eyes. They slithered down my cheeks as I masked my eyes and collapsed in a heap on the freezing cold tiles.

Before long I was spluttering and moaning a broken wail.

"W-why?" I managed, "I can't believe you're gone.... Light-sama... you will be missed."