Awaken

Marinette thought she was dead, actually she was positive she was dead. Everything was dark and the pain in her leg had completely vanished, which meant only one thing. She, Marinette Dupain-Cheng aka Ladybug, was dead. But she couldn't understand why it was so dark. She knows she'd done a few wrong things and made mistakes but she didn't think she'd been bad enough to be in purgatory; that's the only explanation for the pitch black.

She tried to talk, but her mouth wouldn't move, it seemed restricted, like her mouth was covered. Until, suddenly, it wasn't. She still couldn't understand what was happening but she could definitely hear speaking.

"I love you Princess."

Only one person called her Princess and he was here. Her personal hero was here, he saved her. She'd remembered he'd been with her when she was in the storage room. He knows who she is, she'd told him. If she could hear him though did that mean he was here too, that he'd been shot.

Marinette felt something soft touch her lips, it felt like a ... like a kiss. Was Chat kissing her?

An electric current seemed to shoot through her body, giving her strength. She willed it to move to her eyes so she could open them, so she could see her hero once more. Her eyes didn't open, but her mouth began to move.

"I love you too, Kitty."

She felt lips meet hers again, soft, gentle and kind. The electric feeling circled her again as her eyes fluttered open. The blinding light of the fluorescents above her made her wince. It was too bright. She slammed her eyes closed again, disappointed she couldn't keep them open long enough to see him. She needed to see him.

The soft pressure on her lips happened again and this time her eyes opened with a lot more ease and a lot less pain. The lights didn't blind her this time and she noticed people in the room, one a dark shadow to her left and the others sitting beside her to the right.

"Tom, get a doctor."

"Marinette."

"Quick, hide."

Two voices she recognised. Her mother and Chat. She couldn't see any mouths moving and everything was spinning. Spinning too hard and too fast, she needed to close her eyes again, so she did. Who was hiding?

"How many times has she opened her eyes?" That was a new voice. One she hadn't heard before. Wherever she was, it wasn't just her family there.

"Twice. The first was short, the second was longer and she managed to look around before closing again."

"This is brilliant news. Keep talking to her and trying to get her to fully wake up, I'll go find a doctor to come and examine her."

She could hear a door close and some shuffling around.

"M'Lady, if you can hear me I just want you to know I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry for everything, but I need you back and I need you strong. Please just open your eyes, let me see the beautiful blue I love. Please Bugaboo, just ... please." She could hear the sobs in her partner's voice. She wanted to shout how he was forgiven, how she still loved and adored him, that they could talk things out and fix it. They could always fix it.

A damp feeling hit her cheek. It was definitely wet flesh against her own. Chat. He must be crying. Trying again, using all the will power she could possess she opened her eyes, looking directly into his.

"She's awake, Mr and Mrs Dupain, she's awake."

She moved her hand off the mattress and uncoordinatedly placed it on his cheek. It may have taken a few attempts and ended with a bit more of a slap than intended, but she'd made it. She was touching him and he was real. The room was real and she was back.