The Beginning of the End

Have you ever had a moment in your life when you can clearly say you're having an outer body experience? Yes? Well I can tell you now, being unconscious is nothing like that. I can hear someone screaming next to me. Someone wants me to come back, but I can't move, I can't feel. Everything is stuck; stuck in time and space. I am floating and all I can hope is that my body finds its destination soon, because I don't know how much longer I can hold on.

•••••

"We're bringing in a young girl, sixteen years old, ICD-10, upper thigh close to the femoral artery, with foreign body. Left side, she will need blood and an emergency team at the ready." The paramedic, who was talking on the phone, looked over to Adrien.

"What's her name?" he asked.

Adrien looked up in shock, what did he say?

"Um-" a hand placed on his lower arm and he looked to see the second paramedic trying to calm him.

"Her name?"

"Oh, it's Marinette, Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

The sound of the sirens were giving him a headache, and the beeping of the heart rate monitor was excruciating. Why did they make such a horrible noise? The beep beep beep was diabolical, there must have been a nicer noise they could have used, like a twinkling noise. Yes, that would be nicer. It wouldn't have his nerves on edge as much as this was.

He felt like he was drowning. His head and ears were fuzzy and he couldn't quite understand what was happening around him. He began to piece together his day. He had a soulmark, he still hadn't seen it properly. He filmed an advert with Marinette and she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. She was his soulmate, always, she was his Lady, always, it was always Marinette. Kind and caring Marinette who was currently bleeding an insane amount in the back of an ambulance.

His phone began to ring. He could feel the vibrations pulsing next to his thigh. It rang once, twice, three times, but his hand couldn't move to his pocket where it sat. He looked down towards his leg and noticed it was covered in Marinette's blood. As if remembering she was there, he looked up into the pale face of his soulmate, his love, his future.

Future!

He pulled his phone from his pocket and stared guilty at the missed calls before pulling up an empty text box and finding a name.

Alix Kubdel

He quickly sent off a message asking her to meet him in the hospital. If anyone had the answer, Alix would and if not she could just go back in time and fix it. She had her Miraculous now, she could help.

Hope began to spread through him as he pulled up the missed call notifications. A few from his fathers personal phone, a dozen or so from Nathalie and the rest from Tom and Sabine. With his fingers trembling he made his first call.

"Where are you?"

"I'm in the ambulance still."

"Do you know when you'll arrive at the hospital?" Adrien could hear the fear in Tom's voice, but nothing broke his heart more than hearing Sabine's sobbing in the background. This was their daughter. He had no right to feel the heartache that they did, especially after everything that had happened.

He turned to the paramedic who indicated five minutes until they were at the hospital.

"Five minutes, Sir."

"Adrien, stay with her until we get there please."

"Yes, Sir."

He shut the phone down and considered whether to call Nathalie or his father. Final decision was neither as a low tone beep sounded from the machine currently monitoring Marinette.