Embers

Anuwe lay sleeping peacefully on the floor next to the small oven.

The woman had offered her a makeshift bed but Anuwe couldn't bear to take the elderly woman's only blankets.

It was comfortable enough next to the smoldering embers of the fire, the relief of the elderly woman not reacting negatively to her hair was too pure a relief.

So relieved in fact the girl did not wake or Stir when a sudden harsh wind seemed to blow against the house.

When it finally died down a single Falcon feather somehow came to rest directly onto the makeshift window. (A hole carved out of the house.)

The feather seemed to slip onto the ground on its own, consumed by a strange vortex- from which Horus slowly grew from.

Horus stood looking through the window.

Was....

Was it really not his Uncle?

If not...

Then how could they possibly have red hair?

The only way to have it was to have came from the line of the the earth god Geb and the sky goddess Nut.

Could...

Could a mortal really have red hair???

Horus tentatively brushed his hand against the doorway (only a large length of cloth hung above the doorway giving a bit of privacy.)

Horus gently brushed the cloth to the side, approaching the girl and kneeling beside her.

The resemblance to his uncle was almost uncanny.

But...

He knew.

He knew what his father had done.

So it-

It just wasn't logically possible!

His fingers brushed crimson locks away from her cheekbones.

The burning flames that reflected upon her face along with her fiery hair made it look as though she were a burning ember.

There was no way his uncle could ever have a child of his blood.

And yet-

The girl began to stir.

Only when she opened her eyes no one was there.

Her fingers came up to gingerly touch her cheekbone.

She could have sworn she'd felt someone touch her.

Anuwe quietly shook off the feeling.

Her cowl had probably just shifted on her head when she stirred in her sleep.

Horus hid just out of view next to the window.

Only when the girl had laid back down and fallen asleep once more did Horus even dare to move a muscle.

He glanced back at the girl once more before grabbing one of his feathers and whispering to it slowly.

"Follow and protect her."

He whispered, a gust of wind blowing around him and engulfing the feather in a vortex.

Once it was set he flew into sky, the air catching his wings and allowing him to fly into the night.

He had to speak to his mother.