Chapter 14

Fi greeted me once I was back in Faron Woods. "Congratulations, Master Link. You have passed this trial. You now have the power to proceed to the location of the first sacred flame that will enhance your sword.

The Water Dragon's Scale is one of the goddess's sacred gifts. The great spirit of the Water Dragon has provided you with the ability to swim freely underwater. The flame you seek is somewhere within these woods....Master, I must conclude that this flame is likely in a part of this area you have not explored." As Fi went back into the sword, I saw Kikwi elder behind me who greeted me humbly. "Ah, hello again. I see you have the Water Dragon's Scale there. That's amazing! I heard that if you have one, you can swim through water like a dragon soars through sky! There must be places here in the woods you haven't visited yet." I nodded and continued to now explore the woods with my new ability.

I swarm down into a bit just behind the Kikwi elder and the deeper I went I found a cavern type area, I swarm further and I found myself inside the Great Tree of Faron Woods and used my Gust Bellow on platforms to exit the cavern which took me to the outside of the tree on the trunks. I explored more inside and outside of the tree getting higher, fighting some Bokoblins that had gotten up here as well as a new enemy which Fi told me was a Moblin, it was basically a bigger version of Bokoblins. Once I got to the top of the tree, Fi popped out. "Master, do you hear that?" There was a weird gurgling noise coming from somewhere nearby. "Master, you have reached the top of the tree. From this vantage point, you have good view of the woods. Perhaps you will see an area you haven't explored." The strange noise was still coming from somewhere, Fi told me to look above us to the right and I could see a Kikwi asleep on the trunk and its snoring is what we have been hearing.

It woke up as I pelted it with a slingshot seed. "Whoozit? I'm nappin'. Oooh, look at that! A real live human! Haven't seen one of you in a while. They used to call me Yerbal. Now I'm just the old Kikwi hermit. I watch over this forest here....when I'm not nappin'. I don't know how you wandered all the way here, but let me ask you something.... Can you really see me?" I nodded as the old Kikwi continued. "Tell me, what business doe a real live human have in these woods?" I told him my situation as he nodded. "I know exactly who you are, as I said I watch over these woods and know things most don't. A human who see a great flame to enhance his sword. Listen, do you promise not to breathe a word of what I'm about to tell you to another soul? I'm serious!" "Alright, I promise. Just tell me."

He hummed. "Fine, I'll tell you since you climbed all the way up here. The goddess gave the flame to the Water Dragon, a great spirit that presides over Faron Woods. The way I hear it is she left the flame in the care of the Water Dragon so that one day the mighty dragon could pass it onto the 'one from the sky'.... You see, I've got a hunch that the goddess was talking about you, lad. Well, that settles that. You must seek out the mighty Water Dragon. Her lair is deep in a lake in the south of these woods. She watches over the flame there. There's a problem, though. The gate that leads to that is sealed shut to all those judged unworthy.... But don't worry, I'll let you in on the trick to opening the gate. To open the gate, you have to channel the power of the goddess into the symbol carved into its doors. Oh, but it isn't so simple! The symbol is incomplete. To unlock the gate, you must make the symbol whole. The only way you'll know what completed symbol should look like is to first find that same symbol somewhere else in these woods. The gate is down in the south, so it's likely that there's a matching symbol up where up north. I wish you safe travels, lad!"

I nodded and headed off to where I remember I saw that symbol before, It was on viewing platform and all that the gate seemed to be missing was a circle so when I got back to the gate and raised my sword skyward and drew a circle in the missing spot. It glowed white before the gate opened before me, once I got to the end of the walkaway above a massive lake surrounded by waterfalls, I had no choice but dive down into the water. I got sucked into a current into a cave like area where I resurfaced and saw an odd looking creature swimming nearby. "Ack! Another human! OK, OK.... I just have to avoid eye contact and back away slowly...." I tilted, at the creature words and began to swim towards it, it swam away as I followed it until it came to a hole where there was some wood blocking the way. "Quit following me, pest! If you don't move along, I'll be forced to tell Her Excellence the Water Dragon about your little incursion!" It turned and swam through a gap in the wood before facing me. "Ha-HA! Didn't see that coming, did you? Yep, there's no way you're going be able to follow me now! So, what now? Are you going to cry? If you think you can make it through, just go ahead and try!" I smirked, little bastard. I swam towards to the wood and performed a spin that the Water Dragon's scale allow me to do. The creature turned to me and gasped. "GAH! How is that even possible? I've never seen a human pull off a spin like that! Wait.....That's a Water Dragon's Scale! Does that make you the emissary of the goddess, like the Water Dragon said? Hey, I've got an idea! Maybe you can help Her Excellence!"

I nodded the creature may be annoying, but I do want to help. "Take me to her!" "Yeah, about that...It happened really recently. This weirdo came in here with a gang of monsters and went right after Her Excellence. My lady, the Water Dragon is a fierce fighter, and, boy, did she gobble up most of those monsters in the first few seconds. Thing is, there were just so many of them! While she distracted, the weirdo leading all those creatures managed to wound her." Hm, I wondered who that could have been..... This is why I sometimes think that it is really wrong for me to have fallen for Ghirahim but at other times it's still wrong but I can't help it, I just can't stop thinking about him, he gives me this feeling of butterflies in my stomach and I get dizzy at the thought.

"She's healing up now, but she says we don't have enough special water for her to make a full recovery. So could you please go talk with Her Excellence and see if you can help her out? I'll even take you to her. Follow me!" I swam after the creature and followed him to the Water Dragon. Once we got there, I swam up to the platform and got up on it seeing a large grey basin in front of me with who I assumed was the Water Dragon. "Ah! You there, human! You have intruded my home, a sacred place that only few are permitted to enter. This is no place for one such as you. You will explain how you got here, and quickly. I took a breath and spoke. "Water Dragon?" She scoffed.

"I am. Those with manners address me as Faron, warden of the woods. I was appointed by the goddess herself. Though my current stature is less than, well, intimidating, shall we say, know that you stand in the presence of a loyal servant of the goddess!" She looked at me intently before speaking again.

"I say, that's of of MY scales you have there! A sacred gift such as that could only be carried by the goddess's chosen hero. But could you really be him? This raises questions. Even with that scale in your possession, finding my hall is no easy task....How did you find me? Ah, yes... That cackling, old hermit Kikwi told you where I live, didn't he?" I nodded sheepishly as she scoffed. "Honestly, I can't remember how many times I've told that scruffy thing to keep his mouth shut. That's the last straw. Next time I see him, he's dinner! Oh, but I digress. You've come here seeking a sacred flame, have you?" I nodded,. "Of course!" "Well, I'll be straight with you. A shrimpy boy like you hardly looks the parts of the goddess's chosen hero." Yes, Ghirahim probably thought the same thing the first time he saw me.

"There's no doubt about it. A test is in order to prove you're everything you say you are. Shortly before you arrival, I was attacked by a pompous creature calling himself Ghirahim." Oh, would you look at that I was right. Let's see what damage he's cause this time. "I stood against this self-proclaimed Demon Lord, but I was wounded in the encounter. Unfortunately, the healing properties of the sacred water have diminished, and I am need of another dose to freshen up my healing bath. Bring me the container of fresh sacred water that I require. Do me this favor, and I'll gladly show you where to find the sacred flame you desire. What say you?" I nodded. "You got it!" Fi analysed the remaining water in the basin and set it as a dowsing target as I set of in search of the sacred water.