Chapter 12

Back in the Sealed Temple, the old woman stared at the dormant Gate of Time. "As you can see, the gate is nothing more than a slab of cold stone for now. It is sleeping. Rousing it from its slumber would require great power. Yes, I believe a shot of holy light from your Skyward Strike might just do it..."I nodded, unsheathing my sword and going to walk up to the gate. "Ah, sorry to disappoint you, boy, but for now your sword lacks the power necessary to awaken the gate. First, you and your sword must grow together. Faron Woods....Eldin Volcano.... and Lanaryu Desert.... A sacred flame is hidden somewhere in each of these lands. Seek them out, and purify your sword in their heat. Only after your blade has been tempered by these three fires will it be fully imbued with the great power for which you search. Clues to finding the sacred flames have been woven into the lyrics of a song precious to your people, the Ballad of the Goddess. These clues are your best hope of finding your way to the flames.

Return to Skyloft. Somewhere on your island is one whose knowledge of this old song will point you in the right direction." I nodded, remembering the song Zelda sang on her harp the morning of the Wing Ceremony. I know where I'm going and who I'm going to. Robert. He has to know something, just a little to nudge me in the quick direction, he knows plenty about Skyloft's history so maybe something about this too. I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see Groose, arms crossed with a glare, that turned into a accepting smirk border line smile before he turned his back to us. "I hate even sayin' this, but I guess you got it all figured out, Grannie. Me, well, there's nothin' I can do to help Zelda. I'm useless." He began to walk out.

"Ah. You sell yourself short, my friend. You'll see in time that you have your own role to play in all this." Groose continued to walk out the temple, not listening to the old woman's words as she turned back to me. "Link, go now. Trust in fate to guide your feet. Your mission depends on it....as does Zelda's fate." I nodded and began to walk out the temple heading to leave the woods, Groose was outside angrily talking to himself. "Awww, c'mon! I couldn't do a thing!" His voice was become less angry and more upset. "I'm totally useless!" He ran off to cry where no one could see him I guess and where he could take his anger out on.... a wall. I saw as I followed him around the corner. He sniffed, head against the wall, fist pounding into it. ".....I'm just deadweight. What kinda use is that to anyone...." I knew I couldn't do anything to bring Groose out of this self hating stage just now or do anything to get through to him so I turned around began to leave the woods, heading to Skyloft.

********

Back in Skyloft, I headed straight for the Knight Academy and straight to Robert's office. I walked in slowly and saw him to greet his guest. His eyes widened and he smiled as I walked up to him. "Ah, you're back Link! It's good to see you son, I've missed you and have worried about you and your sister endlessly." I smiled as he hugged me before smiling. "So how's it going down there? Are you any closer to finding our Zelda?" I took a deep breath and recited everything I had told Groose, adding a bit more in about Zelda and her destiny as mine too. Also left out the 'I have fallen for the guy who stole my sister in the first place' part as I don't think now is the time to say any about that subject. "Hmm...I see.... My dear Zelda.... Things must be terribly trying for her down there, and you son, all you have endured along your journey to even locate your sister must have be very difficult and hard to adjust to." He patted my shoulder as he was unable to ruffle my hair because of my hat.

"Thanks Robert, I know that even though it's hard that I have to do this for Zelda, I can't let her do this alone. Speaking of.... Do you happen to know the lyrics of the song that Zelda sang on the morning of the Wing Ceremony with her harp?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "What? You want to know the lyrics to the song Zelda sang on the day of the Wing Ceremony?" I nodded, "yes just the lyrics to give me a hint." "Ok, I can recite them for you. Let's see.... Oh youth, guided by the servant of the goddess....unite earth and sky, and bring light to the land. That's the first part, but as I recall, there's a second verse to the song." Robert informed me.